Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,722   Posts: 1,514,975   Online: 1142

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say if he's shooting Canon right now, stick with Canon. It's nice to be able to swap lenses, and not have to sink money into 2 separate systems.

But if that's no worry... I'd put in for a Konica T3... Built like a tank and legendary Hexanon glass you can't go wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're not in too deep with the Canon then maybe go with minolta, an SRT-101. They've got a beautiful lens selection and I'vk got a few Rokkor-X's that have never dissapointed me in terms of sharpness. The entire system is incredibly easy to learn and I've done all my 35mm work as a film student thus far on an SRT-101. I don't plan on stopping now.

There is something to be said for sticking with one system though. I recently purchased a Nikon FE so that I could use some of my digital lenses on a fully manual camera when I want to have the versatility of digital and film in a small package.

But whatever, this is only the expirience of one photographer. Do whatever you think is best!

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax Spotmatic. They go on forever and use M42 mount lenses which are in plentiful supply.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F-1n, F-1, FTb. Great cameras.

Also consider the Canon AT-1. Fully manual camera, same body type as the A-1, match needle metering. Uses the same battery as the A-1. Lighter than the pro bodies.

If he wants to try a different system, the Minolta SRT series are wonderful cameras, and the lenses are absolutely dirt cheap for the quality you get.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I could recommend a long list of camera, but I recommend that if possible he get a camera that will use his lenses and is comfortable for him to handle and photograph. I college I sold cameras and the number one problem that people have is that they get a camera because everyone said to buy that one. If the camera is too small or too large for ones hands, it will not be as good an experience as the camera that fits and the controls are in the right place. The right camera for him is the one that he can become one with.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Instead of something that fits lenses you have already, what about exposing him to something totally different? For example, if he has been shooting all SLRs, what about trying a rangefinder, TLR, scale focus camera, etc? If he has been all 35mm, how about trying medium or large format?

Many of these options would be single shot purchases that wouldn't mean investing in a new line of lenses, etc. As someone who grew up after SLRs took over the photography world, I would have appreciated exposure to other types of cameras earlier.

Edit: What sort of subjects does he shoot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest that you allow your son to participate in the decision-making. He may surprise you with which camera he really wants for his birthday. Besides, the time you spend together in search of his new camera may be as precious to him as the camera itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    spotmatic is truly wonderfull
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can anything beat a Nikon FM3a for manual and auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the fm2?
    vive la resistance!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin