Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,932   Posts: 1,522,194   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Totally manual 35mm camera recommendations needed

My son has a Canon A1 and he loves it. In fact, I can honestly say it is the best purchase I ever made, as it has gotten a tremendous amount of use. However, he would like a totally manual camera. His birthday is in August and I may surprise him with a camera.
    I have done a lot of reading but admit I'm not that knowledgable about specific cameras. I'm figuring the Canon F1 is probably our best choice. However, I'd also be open to trying a Nikon as a change. He attends an Arts school and is a photography major so I'm willing to spend a bit more. I know we'll get our money out of it.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Canon F1, Nikon F1, both nice classic choices. Also consider a Leica M2 or M3 (or Voigtlander Bessa, or Zeiss Ikon) in user shape. I picked up my M2 for $500 and you can get used lenses for $250-300.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd like to throw in the Olympus OM-1 as a possibility, nice fully manual camera and lightweight and quiet to boot.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If we're throwing alternatives in, then Yashica FX-3. Totally, utterly manual. Light in weight, thoroughly reliable. Put a Zeiss Planar on the front, and never look back.
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The F1n is the obvious choice as you may well have more than one lens already for the A1 - I used to use F1n's and loved them - bullet proof. I cannot remember correctly but *think* that the totally mechanical shutter speeds (those available without batteries) were limited, might beworth checking out.

For a "can work without batteries" camera the Nikon F2 would jump into the spotlight.

However, what is wrong with using the A1? Good camera (was the first one that got me into the Canon system) if you don't mind using a battery to power the shutter/meter perhaps the investment could go on accesories rather than another camera.

Leica - the ultimate battery-free 35mm.

Have fun!

*edit* Good call about the FX3. That was my first slr & still got it. Was in a cupboard for probably 15 years, found it over last winter - worked first time! Leatherette covering fell off but it might be wearing better than me!!!
    Last edited by Sim2; 07-20-2010 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding about the FX-3!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F1, nice choice! I wouldn't recommend having 2 cameras with different lens mounts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll throw out the obligatory recommendation for a Pentax K-1000, KX, KM or MX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I have 2 Canon F1n

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Olives View Post
    My son has a Canon A1 and he loves it. In fact, I can honestly say it is the best purchase I ever made, as it has gotten a tremendous amount of use. However, he would like a totally manual camera. His birthday is in August and I may surprise him with a camera.
    I have done a lot of reading but admit I'm not that knowledgable about specific cameras. I'm figuring the Canon F1 is probably our best choice. However, I'd also be open to trying a Nikon as a change. He attends an Arts school and is a photography major so I'm willing to spend a bit more. I know we'll get our money out of it.
    Thanks!
    I have 2 Canon f1n and they're built like tanks. My first one I've had for 20 years and it's still going strong. I bought a new one on Ebay recently. They have metal shutter curtains and will work without a battery. The shutter speed range is limited though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F1n, and The :

Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III
    "Classic" Analog Light Meter for Battery-Free Ambient Light Readings, Incident & Reflected !

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you already have several lens, staying with Canon may be your best bet. If not, or you don't care, Nikon has great lens/body compatibility. Depending on budget and availability, Nikon F2 or an FM would be great choices.

For more money, a Leica M3 would be something to consider.

Many choices.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin