Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,007   Posts: 1,524,572   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome!
    I have both the FM2 and the FM3a, both are great cameras and I see no strong reason to change the 2 for a 3a. It's true that the 3a has an aperture priority auto mode (so does the much cheaper FG or the great FE), but really I never use that mode, so both cameras are pretty much the same for me. Keep the FM2 and get an FG (with a useful Program mode) for an 8th of the 3a price.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey JustinSoong, welcome to APUG. Regarding the FA. To each their own. Lots of people love them. I purchased it for my wife, she used it maybe twice. I tried it out, to complex. One of the reasons I hate shooting my DSLR is sometimes I have to have the manual to do something simple. But I need it for business.

Never have these problems with the F3HP, my favorite, or F2, or changing brands and types, Lecia, or medium format, large format. One of my favorite motto's, KISS, keep it simple stupid.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfo View Post
    Keep the FM2 and get an FG (with a useful Program mode) for an 8th of the 3a price.
    Nice to see someone recommending the FG for a change. They are usually ignored or it is suggested that they are no good but in reality the FG is a nice compact body which can take Nikkor lenses and which was very well featured for its time.

Program mode (as you mentioned) as well as aperture priority, manual and a 1/90 speed when the battery dies and also capable of TTL flash metering.

I have had mine for at least twenty five years with no problems.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd continue using the FM2n. But, maybe add an FE2 (or the aforementioned FG/N2000 series cameras for when you want auto modes and TTL flash). That said, F4's are pretty cheap nowadays. Could get a pro-grade camera that has most, if not all of the features you want, plus some added features that are nice.

My main complaint about the FA, is not all the features, but the F3-style meter display. It's not that informative in manual mode. You're either overexposing by an unknown amount, at correct exposure, or underexposing by an unknown amount. The F4's meter display (introduced on the N8008) is much better. Is a bar-graph style display that goes from +2 to -2. Very easy to compensate for scenes that aren't middle-toned.
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    The FM2N is a desirable camera. If you want to be able to have Aperture Priority automation you should consider adding an FE2 or FE to your collection. The FM3A is a very nice camera but it's also very expensive. As time goes by people should ask whether an electronic camera can be repaired or maintained in proper working order and not what inconvenience might be experienced because of a dead battery. The FA does not have the same reputation for reliability as the FE or FM series. I have an FE2 and two FEs. If I must use a Nikon mount camera with a mechanical shutter I can use one of my Nikkormats or an F2. I also have two N2020 bodies. These are primitive when it comes to AF but the cameras are nice to use with AI or AIS manual focus lenses. You get a top shutter speed of 1/2000, motorized film advance without a separate bulky winder/motor, TTL flash capability, interchangeable focusing screens, Aperture Priority automation and Program modes. It's a lot of camera for very little money. I use mine for macro work because even the standard focusing screen is clear in the center and easy to focus with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks alot for all the replies guys!!!! I shall give it all a thought

Shooter
    35mm
    Keep the FM2 & add either an FA or FE2 would be my choice. I would forget the FM3A due the the price premium. You could probably get both an FA & FE2 & have money over for a lens for the price of an FM3A.

With regard to the FA. Program mode is quite primative. Only 2 programs that switch automatically based on the focal length of the lens (AIS lens). Being an FA owner, I wouldn't call it a selling point & hardly ever use it. The shutter priority mode has been much more useful to me. The matrix meter is primative by todays standards but I have found it quite good. Supposedly can be fooled by turing the camera on its side. Have never felt the urge to test for myself.

I have an FM2 as well & wouldn't part with either of them. Find the FM2 & they way that it handles & slows my photography down a joy. The few times that I have used flash with the FM2 it has been with either an SB-15 or 16 & I have been happy with the results.

The FE2 has manual & aperture priority as well as TTL flash. It is another nice camera that would be worth considering.
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well fellas after looking about for a while and listening to your advice, i bought the FE2!!!! But sadly i traded off the FM2 (Cash problem you see, i'm still a student :P) Well anyway thanks alot for the advices you guys gave me. I shall be posting some pictures soon!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin