Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,318   Online: 986

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do all Exa/Exakta mounts have the same registration?

Hey gang, I just bought a box of old cameras - mostly to get the metal 127 spools from some of them - and inside that box was an old Exa 135 SLR.

A little tinkering and I made the shutter fire properly every time, so I'm curious whether I can put this little guy back to work. It seems way too nice to throw out. So what if it wasn't the super whiz-bang testosterone pumping professional model of its day; the photographer is behind the camera, not in the camera.

But the lens situation confuses me a bit. I see that there were scads of lenses made in the Exakta mount, many for cameras other than the East German ones. Topcon and several others pop up.

I can pretty well guess that all of them will mechanically "mount" to the body. And since it's got a focus screen rather than a rangefinder, I'm guessing that the lens registration is not an issue. But is this the only considerations? Is there anything that I'm overlooking that makes some Exakta mount lenses like the Japanese models not a reasonable choice for an Exa body?

I do note that a number of the lenses don't have the cute button that presses the shutter release, but I don't see how this can hurt anything. I can push the button myself. (Does that little arm poking out do anything else I'm not aware of? Or does it just push the shutter release?)

So, I guess my question is "can I just buy any lens with an Exakta mount and put it on the camera?" Will that work?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes except the 127 VP's and much later MF ones based on the Pentacon 6 body shell, there was also an Exacta 9x12 (plate/film) some of which used a very similar bayonet inter-changeable lens system.

I think there were some Japanese cameras branded with the name with a different mount, possibly K mount.

I have a very early Tamron 135mm/270mm with Exacta mount (first T mount I think), and some Panagor extension tubed, early Topcon's are the same mount and quite a few other German companies made lenses that fit, Meyer, Ena, Schneider, Travenar etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Topcon used a similar lens mount - Topcon lenses will mount on an Exakta but the automatic aperture mechanism is very different. You are safe mounting a manual or preset Exakta mount lens on a Topcon. Exakta was the only company that made cameras with the auto-aperture 'Exakta' mount.

If you want an automatic diaphragm lens it has to have that rather bizarre button assembly growing out of the side of the lens. When you push the button the first part of the stroke closes the aperture and the remaining part of the stroke goes on to push the camera's shutter release button. The ones without the button can be either pre-set or manual diaphragm. A preset aperture has two rings: the first has click stops and you use it to set the aperture you want to use; the other turns smoothly between wide open and the setting on the first ring. This lets you focus wide open and then close down to the shooting aperture without having to lower the camera. Preset apertures are the norm on 'T-Mount' lenses - these are the common Japanese 3rd party lenses from Lentar, Cambron, Spiratone etc., they date from the days when 'Made in Japan' meant 'look out: it may be good, or it may be crap'. A manual diaphragm, common on very early German lenses, is a PITA on an SLR.

The Zeiss Jena lenses are often good, though like everything Comecon/FSU quality and performance of an individual sample is a bit of a crap-shoot - but what the hey, it was a "worker's paradise." The 'Zebra Stripe' Zeiss Tessar is common and cheap.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a PLUSflex 35 that has a Exacta bayonet, but that also has a pin sticking into the lens throat that is actuated by a side-ways acting lever inside the camera (contrary to an early Pentax Spotmatic that has a back-and-fort acting lever), this contraption stops down the lens, and since this lens is automatic, it will not work on a bog-standard Exacta, or work on full aperture only.

Apparently PLUS was a japanese made, re-branded line of cameras with seeral models and quite possibly several makers.... maybe someone has a link?

This points to th fact that buyers need to be careful or end up with drawers full of orphan lenses like me! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    List of lens manufacturers making lenses for EXA/EXAKTA bayonet :
    (gleande from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Utilice-objeti...item19b39306f2 )

Access, Accura, Aetna Optix, Aico, Amitar, Angenieux, Aragon, Arco, Argus, Asanuma, Ashreh, Astro Berlin, Atzmuller&Rendl, Avigon, Bass Cam Co, Bausch & Lomb, Bell & Howell, Berlin Optik, Beroflex, Berolina, Birns & Sawyer, Bittco, Boyer, Brandex, Busch, Bushnell, Cambridge Cam, Cambron, Canon, Carl Meyer, Caspeco, Cavalier, Celestron, Century, Chalier, Chinon,Coleman-Dynamic, Cooke, Corfield, Dallmeyer, Danubia, Dollond, Kodak, Edixa, Elgeet, Elicar, Elite, Emil Busch, Encino, Enna, Ernemann, Ernst Abbe Jena, Esplana, Euro-Optik, Exakta, Eyemik, Feinmess, Focal, Fodor, Fokinar, Friedrich, Fujita, Gamma, Gen Scient Corp, Glanz, Goerz, GOMZ, Hakuhor, Hanimar, Hanimex, Harmon, Holm & Jamer, Honeywell, Ica, Ihagee, Ihagee Steinheil,
    Imperial, Ina, Ina Vinson, Infotar, Isco, Itoh, Itorex, Jupiter, Juplen, Kalimar, Kashimura, Kawanon, Kazan, Kilfitt, Kine Camera Cy, Kinoptik, KMZ, Kowa, Kyoei, Leitz, Lentar, Liatz, Listar, Ludwig, LZOS Lutkarino, Mamiya-Sekor, Marexar, Marumi, Masel, Meopta, Mepro, Meyer, Miida, Mosler, Nikon, NKK, Novoflex, Olympus, Optinar, Optomax, Orion, Palinar, Pallas, panagor, Paragon, Peerotar, Pentacon, Pentax, Pentor, Petri-Taron, Photax, Piesker, Plaubel, Plusflex, Ponder & Best, Primax, Prinz, Prisma, PRO, Quarry, Questar, Raynox, Renoit Etoile, Revue, Ritagon, Ritz, Rodenstock, Roeschlein, Rolmax, Ross, Rubica, Rudersdorf, Samigon, Samyang, Sands Hunter, Sankor, Sankyo, Sans & Streiffe, Schacht, Schachtlike, Schneider, Scopus, Sears, Seimar, Sesnon, Seton Rochwite, Siatex, Sigma, Silber, Soligor, Soligor Miranda, SOM Berthiot, Sonnagar, Spiratone, Steinheil, Sterling-Howard, Sun, Sunset, Suntar, Swift, Taika, Taiyo & Co, Tamron, Taylor, Taylor & Hobson, Telec, Telesar, Telisar, Tewe, Tiger, Titan, Tokina, Tokyo Koki, Topcon, Typonar, UGL, Unitor, Universar, Upsilon, Vemar, Vivitar, Voigtländer, Vorn, Voss Photo, Walter Voss, Welt, Weth, Will Wetzlar, Wirgin, Wollensak, WVF Präzisa, Yashica, Zeika, Zeiss, Zoomar

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    List of lens manufacturers making lenses for EXA/EXAKTA bayonet :
    (gleande from http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Utilice-objeti...item19b39306f2 )
    I'm rather sceptical about that list, it just seems to be a list of most brands ever made?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the "big boys", e.g Leitz and Nikon , never made lenses for the Exakta bayonet? And some of the others look rather dubious (Kodak, Edixa, Mamiya, Pentax, Olympus, for example).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I can see that I cannot simply pick up just any old Exakta mount lens and expect it to work. There's just too much variability in the offerings.

Since I need another 35mm camera like a I need another hole in my head (and if I spend much money on it my wife assures me I might *GET* another hole in my head), can some folks who use an old Exa give me a few recommendations for a wide and a portrait lens that's not outrageously expensive. I figure that the camera body is basically a "found camera" so I can spend a little hobby money on it. Maybe $40-80 per lens; perhaps more if there's a compelling reason.

No 50mm lens, more like 28mm to 35mm. And something else for head shots, like 80mm to 135mm. I know there's no good fast glass out there, but since the top shutter speed is 150 it isn't like I need f/1.0.

As far as dating the camera, I don't have it in front of me, so I cannot give the serial number. But it is marked as made in USSR occupied Germany, so it's a farily early model. Not a later one. Just in case that matters in lens choice.
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 07-21-2010 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    OK, I can see that I cannot simply pick up just any old Exakta mount lens and expect it to work. There's just too much variability in the offerings.
    Actually, basically, you can.
    Apart from a few of the Japanese offerings, made specifically for the Topcon, which *could* introduce some problems, most of the European (and other) manufacturer's "Exakta" mount lenses were made specifically for Exaktas and Exas.

One thing I once heard is that longer teles (and lenses on extension tubes & bellows) could introduced vignetting on some Exa models because of the Exa's mirrorbox design.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Here's an interesting site for Exakta.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I'm rather sceptical about that list
    It seems to be a list of everyone who ever made a 'T' mount lens and not those who made dedicated lenses. Nevertheless, Exaktas were the only SLR for a long while and were well established in the early 50's. Most lenses for Exaktas are pretty old. The most recent Jena lenses are very early 70's.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin