Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,814   Online: 788

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Did they say why?
    I'm sure that it is because they would have to process them as commercial importations (paperwork, fees, duty, broker services, etc.). That just wouldn't make sense for individual, small size lots.

In addition, they would have to go through that process when the items originally enter the USA. If the Canadian customer decided that their offer wasn't acceptable, they would have to return the items and apply for refunds.

Can you blame KEH?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Can you blame KEH?
    Can't say that I do.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm sure that it is because they would have to process them as commercial importations (paperwork, fees, duty, broker services, etc.). That just wouldn't make sense for individual, small size lots.

In addition, they would have to go through that process when the items originally enter the USA. If the Canadian customer decided that their offer wasn't acceptable, they would have to return the items and apply for refunds.

Can you blame KEH?
    Nope...that's not it...the same rules apply for me buying from them...

They cited shipping costs as a reason...

Though I just noticed they don't pay all that well anyways, I'd be better off selling privately

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Nope...that's not it...the same rules apply for me buying from them...

They cited shipping costs as a reason...)
    Ah, but you have to bear almost all the costs and complexities if you import from KEH, while they have to bear all the costs and complexities if they import from you.

Those costs and complexities include the shipping costs involved, but a lot more as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are better off with all the commercial importations (paperwork, fees, duty, broker services, etc.). Without them you would end up spending the same money and getting even more equipment. Then your place would be crowded and your spouse would be complaining. You are just better off. Really. Just tell yourself that over and over again.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

JJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From my experience, its like this-

Unique Photo has been great to me, and is less then 1 hour away. Seems to be staffed by photographers. They are good people, and they have darkroom stuff!

B&H for almost anything, they are experts. They are also staffed by photographers. I go every year or so, some kind of pilgrimage . Its a 2 hours drive for me but I sometimes take a train in. One time I was looking for a bag to fit some specific needs. The sales person asked what I was looking for, and I told him. He pointed out a bag that would work, stating it was the only one that would meet my needs. I wasn't sold on the bag, but an hour later I came to the same conclusion... My only regret of the visit was not telling his manager what a great resource he was.

KEH has done well for me when I purchased some gear this year. First time, I will be back.

There are other stores in NYC that you should stay away from. Basically, everything except B&H and (by reputation, I have not purchased anything from them) Adorama. I stay away from everybody else.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    B&H for almost anything, they are experts. They are also staffed by photographers. I go every year or so, some kind of pilgrimage . Its a 2 hours drive for me but I sometimes take a train in.
    If you're planning a visit this Autumn, you should be aware of two things:
    Our Autumn holiday schedule, and
    the PhotoPlus Expo show Oct 28-30 in the Javits Center which is 2-3 blocks from our store.

JJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am planning on going to the expo, always wanted to go. And thanks for the reminder on the schedule.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    ....There are other stores in NYC that you should stay away from. Basically, everything except B&H and .......Adorama. I stay away from everybody else.
    A quick heads up to let you know that Adorama's return policy on used (also new & refurb) equipment, is now 30 days of receipt, up from 14 days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Helen. That's good to know. I sometimes don't have time to thoroughly check out something before I have to go out of town, so that's a big help.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin