Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,066   Online: 1028

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A little off topic but this is another cool thing to do related to what Ian C wrote above.

A lens can 'see through' any object placed right in front of it as long as the aperture is wider than the object. Put a pencil right in front of the lens. You can 'see through' the pencil until you stop down to the point that the physical aperture size equals the width of the pencil.

With respect to the original post, I'm not sure I follow. Is the defect on the negative the size of a pin hole or smaller? Or does it look like a worm or a fiber?
    Last edited by ic-racer; 07-23-2010 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank you for the Cox suggestion. I looked over their price list. I gather, then, it would be $7.00 to develop a roll of 35mm film, and another $8.00 for a set of corresponding 4x6 RC prints (i.e. "develop and print")? I just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even an air bubble in a lens element will not be visible on a negative or print. So the speck of dust theory is more of a myth.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay all debating of lenses aside - what do the actual negatives look like under a loupe?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not have a loupe. I will go take a look at the negs.

I apologize for my misspelling of "speck" in previous posts.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-23-2010 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I do not have a loupe. I will go take a look at the negs.
    A 50mm lens for a 35mm SLR can make a useful loupe.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I checked the negs with the naked eye and in good natural lighting. Both specks are discernable. Each shows up as a white dot on the neg. One speck is quite easily noticed, and the other takes some more careful inspection, but it is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like they run a dirty process line.

Whatever, they are clearly incompetent trying to blame it on a dirty lens.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree, Ian: the attempt to blame it on a dirty lens only shows their incompetence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I thank you for the Cox suggestion. I looked over their price list. I gather, then, it would be $7.00 to develop a roll of 35mm film, and another $8.00 for a set of corresponding 4x6 RC prints (i.e. "develop and print")? I just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.

I think its $8.00 per print. A contact sheet would be cheaper.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin