Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 723

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank all of those who have been kind enough to submit recommendations for lab services. I have used a number of labs, and it has been difficult to find one that will stand by its work. I called North Coast, and was impressed with what Bonnie had to say.

Shooter
    35mm

Try the APUG Sponsor

I have been very frustrated with my local lab. Like you I find that they just don't care.

I called Richard Photo Lab in LA and was very impressed by their service. I have not processed any film there yet but they have really been good to talk to as I "kick the tires." I have heard working film shooters that do weddings and high end confidential commercial work that are raving about this lab. Just listen to the Inside Analog Photo podcast and you will hear about how good this lab is.

Prices are higher but not outrageous considering how much labor they put into a job.

http://www.richardphotolab.com/
    Last edited by Michael Erb; 07-23-2010 at 05:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a link

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This thread is very helpful. My lab closed, and I'm willing to try mail order. I'd like to hear more recommendations. It would be especially nice to have recommendations for labs that aren't in LA, for those of us who live east of the Mississippi. (Sadly, in my case, for I would love to move back to California.)

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to consider installing a darkroom. A member here, Thomas Bertilsson, suggested it to me and got me started down that path. My 15 year old son set it up last summer and uses it all of the time. I am truly amazed by how much he has learned and done in the darkroom he built. He just developed a roll of Tech Pan and the pictures are really nice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have thought of putting together some type of darkroom, but there is a lot involved. My interest is not merely in developing, but in printing, too. Thus, I am always faced with the same cost/benefit paradigm. I know that developing equipment is relatively inexpensive, but if I decide to take the scan/print route for printing, could the $500 film scanner I would buy compete with the unit in a pro lab? Likewise, could the $500 printer (an inkjet, I gather) I would buy compete with the multi-thousand-dollar Noritsu in a good photo lab? I have been through this scenario over and over, and I have determined that the best route for me (currently, at least) is to find a lab that cares.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I have thought of putting together some type of darkroom, but there is a lot involved. My interest is not merely in developing, but in printing, too. Thus, I am always faced with the same cost/benefit paradigm. I know that developing equipment is relatively inexpensive, but if I decide to take the scan/print route for printing, could the $500 film scanner I would buy compete with the unit in a pro lab? Likewise, could the $500 printer (an inkjet, I gather) I would buy compete with the multi-thousand-dollar Noritsu in a good photo lab? I have been through this scenario over and over, and I have determined that the best route for me (currently, at least) is to find a lab that cares.
    I went through the same path that you are on. I found the cost of the ink was too high and the quality of the print was too low. I bought an enlarger and then a drum print dryer. I have the luxury that I can turn a room into a dry darkroom and when needed the master bathroom into a wet darkroom. The problem is not in getting darkroom equipment; it is in having the space for storing and setting up the equipment.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some labs here in Toronto charge $45 for 4 rolls of 120 and offer it as some kind of favor--jawdropping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Philadelphia Photographics (www.philadelphiaphotographics.com). I have never had a problem with their developing, and their optical enlargements are superb! Although I develop my own B&W, they process all of their B&W by hand, to ensure the most control over each roll. Although they do mail-order, they are not a "mail-order lab", since most of their work is done with local photographers. However, they do a good amount of work through the mail, and are no strangers to the mail-order routine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate your comments, Steve.

I know, CGW, the film processing world, in most places, is quite upsidedown.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-24-2010 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about putting a list someplace of all the labs, how and what they process prints and let people rate them.

I would love to find an all optical print shop because I suck at that, but I want optical prints for some things. I can get an image on the film that pleases me, I can make a great ink jet print, but it all falls apart when I try to go optical print so I would like to have someplace do that for me until I can do it well myself.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin