Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,222   Online: 1196

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    There are a few issues with that.

First, let's say: more limited.
    Some (35 mm format) focal plane shutter cameras sync up to speeds not (or if only by a stop) slower than most leaf shutter lenses.
    I answered the basic question as simply as possible and not fill in all the detail in one post. Yes, that is true, but the issue is not leaf versus focal plane, it is why is the shutter speed on the barrel. Not everyone has the large photographic background that you do. If a short question is answered directly then there is less chance that the thread will get hijacked.

Focal plane shutters (almost) all offer faster speeds than all leaf shutters, and that would make the leaf shutter more limited.
    See answer above.

They are only linked when you want to, so "can be linked" would be more accurate.
    Again, I was conveying the concept, not writing a Hasselblad manual.

The 200/2000-series have the shutter speed ring where the OP wants it to be too.
    Again my answer was not a tutorial on the Hasselblad, rather answered the question as to why the shutter speed was on the lens. Therefore I footnoted* that I did not want to confuse the OP about the V Series which does include the 200 and 3000 series, just refer to the V Series as the 5XX for simplicity. If I wanted to give a complete tutorial, I would have provided a link to Hasselblad Historical.

Steve

*The footnote was placed there to avoid this part of the discussion, not to provide an opportunity to raise the post count.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, Steve. I think you had just brought up a few points that were neither relevant nor correct.

And i don't understand wanting to exclude cameras that do have the shutter speed ring where the OP says it should be from the discussion.
    And besides: what confusion would that be? Between cameras that have the shutter speed setting where the OP wants it to be and cameras that have the shutter speed setting where the OP wants it to be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never did accept that.... All my cameras & lenses have "real" speeds on a dial and DOF scales.
    I've simply stayed away from the "techno-gadget" cameras and brands. ;-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't mind having the shutter speed dial on the body; it's actually more logical than it being on the lens in the case of a camera with a focal plane shutter. I cannot understand why the aperture would ever be anywhere but on the lens barrel, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets not forget the OM' s that have the shutter speed dial set at the lens mount where it feels as if its part of the lens, and naturally convenient for one handed operation of aperture and shutter speed. Why are we comparing Hassys to any 35mm here, thats an apples to grapefruit discussion.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Lets not forget the OM' s that have the shutter speed dial set at the lens mount where it feels as if its part of the lens, and naturally convenient for one handed operation of aperture and shutter speed. Why are we comparing Hassys to any 35mm here, thats an apples to grapefruit discussion.
    No, it isn't.
    It's not even a comparison. Just a summing up of cameras that have the shutter speed setting thingy where the OP wants it to be.

I had mentioned the OMs, by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikkormats came pretty close to having the shutter speed control on the lens barrel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We could even rant about the Japanese cameras where the aperture and focus ring scales go the wrong way

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    We could even rant about the Japanese cameras where the aperture and focus ring scales go the wrong way
    Yes... What were they thinking! :o

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    And, we could also rant about the fact that this thread seems to be more medium format camera oriented than 35mm oriented.

If you want something Hassy-like with 35mm gear, get a Nikomat or a Nikkormat FT series body. If you grip the shutter speed ring and the meter coupling ring (at least on the non-AI bodies), you can move both a stop at a time, just like the Hasselblad C lenses. I've done it, and it works well.

The Olympus cameras have one disadvantage. Aperture ring is on the front of the lens on the zukio lenses. Less convenient. With aftermarket lenses, then, yes, the Nikkormat trick works.

With respect to the focusing ring and aperture rings turning different ways, it really isn't that hard to figure out. I've shot Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Hasselblad cameras in the past, and it's pretty easy to switch back and forth.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin