Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,689   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    how long ago do you think 1973 was?
    37 years ago.

And 37 years before that it was 1936, and that was way different from 1973 - which, to tell the truth, isn't all that different from today. The internet was already around - our university had ARPANET, true it ran on a DECSystem 10. And computer graphics were done on an Evans & Sutherland LDS. More a difference of size - especially in cars. And boy did cars and steel mills stink back then.

In 1973 my Leica M5 was brand new. I still think of it as brand new.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

I meant more that some things don't change that much.

Tom

PS) Nicholas, I invariably get irked when I hear people talk about 'before the internet 15 years ago' when they actually mean before the advent of mass online shopping etc. so your point is welcome.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed this, thanks. It reminded me a little of the (now gone) Sterns Camera, in little Winnetka, Illinois, where I bought my first camera and darkroom supplies back in the late 1970s.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm

Camers Store from long ago

I worked during my school summers in the Camera Barn stores in NY. During the school year I worked at General Photo & Supply in Boston. Some of the old stores I remember are Underground Camera in Kenmore Square in Boston, Olden Camera, 32nd Street Camera Exchange, Minifilm, Wall Street Camera, Doi Camera, the old Willoughby Peerless on 32nd Street, Garden Camera, Competitive Camera, 47th Street Photo, Spiratone in Manhattan, Spiratone in Queens, Ken Hansen Photographic, Hirsch Photo. The 47th Street name has appeared on the internet and Ken Hansen still sells camera equipment but not through a storefront. There is a store at a different location which uses the Willoughby Peerless name. I don't know whether it is related to the old store. Wall Street Camera did not survive the aftermath of September 11th. As far as I know all of the other stores have passed into history. By the late 1970s most camera stores had to also sell electronics to stay in business. Some stores were able to make this change and other weren't. There is some irony in the fact that today digital cameras are essentially electronic equipment.

Different stores were known for different things. Olden had odd motion picture equipment. Ken Hansen specialized, and still does, in Leica equipment. 47th Street Photo was a high volume dealer so people went there to get a slightly lower price on a new camera. Spiratone had odd gizmos and attachments for a variety of cameras. Doi Camera specialized in repairs. Underground Camera sold equipment to students who were taking photography courses. Minifilm and 32nd Street Camera Exchange were known for new equipment. Camera Barn usually had interesting darkroom supplies and also did a good business in used camera equipment and "D&P" (developing and printing).

The darkrooms and film areas of B&H Photo in NY have really shrunk to a small part of the store. The next time I'm in the Los Angeles area I'd like to stop in at Freestyle.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    1973 was almost 40 years ago.
    I was born in 1973 and it was 37 years ago not almost 40!

37 years and no more, three years is a long time - a very long time! No where near 40...
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That shot brings back memories!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I was born in 1973 and it was 37 years ago not almost 40!

37 years and no more, three years is a long time - a very long time! No where near 40...
    Uh, oh, getting a wee bit touchy on the old four-O business are we?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format

From the same roll

Here is another one and this is of a Kodak film rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0610073.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started working in camera stores around this time and worked in then for about twenty three years.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Ummm... Kodachrome....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin