Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,034   Online: 1104

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Back then a customer would take up your time to learn about a camera so they could make their choice. Then drive across town or across the state to save $5. Later when they had a question or a problem they would come back!

Steve
    The general public have now got their wish Steve with these sort of practices , the good camera stores with knowledgeable staff have all but disappeared and what's left are firms either bricks and mortar, or on line that sell boxes, so whose brains can customers pick now ? I'm very glad to retired and out of it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sad but true. When the local camera store went belly up in the eighties, I hired one of the principals for my office equipment and supply store and set up a camera department to help him liquidate his inventory. I had a very large building.

The young man was a bachelor and wanted to see the world so after he left I continued the camera department and expanded it. Although I could of been a Canon and a Nikon dealer, after seeing the extremely poor margins, thought, why bother. I can make as much money by not selling them. I ended up buying and selling used cameras, which of course, was profitable. However, the real profit for a camera store came from photo finishing.

Then years later, when Walgreen s came to town, the wholesale photo-finisher, cut us off. It seems we still had to much business and they wanted to funnel more the the mass merchandise. It seems that because we could advise customers, being more knowledgeable about picture taking, was something the other store could not do. In Illinois, there is or was little protection from vendors doing this, unlike Wisconsin, which offers more protection. Oh well, it was fun, and profitable, as long is it lasted it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1973 doesn't seem to be all that long ago to me when I think back, but It's a good thing I don't work in camera shops any more I know absolutely nothing about digital imaging, the only digital photographic things I own are light meters.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-18-2010 at 01:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about digital imaging, the only digital photographic things I own are light meters.
    Digital is the best thing that ever happened to photography. It made film cameras much more affordable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess things are a bit different here in Australia. I live in Melbourne (capital city of Victoria - population about 3.5 million)....

My local (outer suburban) camera store still stocks film, paper and chemisty for black and white. Not as much as they did 20 years ago when I first got to know them..but it's there on the shelf....

And they are not an isolated case - the next independant camera store which is about 5km away also stocks paper and chemistry....

I've asked both stores why they stock film, paper etc - and both have the same answer - because people know they stock it and come to them to buy what they need....

It's not like when I first worked in a camera store - it was the mid 80's, and I got a part time job working in a small camera shop in Box Hill part time on the odd weekend...The store was tiny - maybe 15 X 15 ft, but they stocked everything from film (I can remember selling fresh 127 and 620 Kodacolour film, and 8mm movie) to paper (Ilford and Agfa mostly - maybe the odd box of Kodak) through to cameras and accessories. Filters of every size, tripods, bags - you name it. The store had been going over 25 years, and they had many old customers...

I can even remember one lovely old dear - who used to come in and get a replacement film for her camera, and of course - the store would load the replacement film into her camera for her..

Even though she's had the camera for over 20 years, she had never learn't how to load her Box Brownie......

It may not be the same today...but it still happens. Its just that instead of replacing a film a customer needs to be shown where the memory card is in their camera......
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of my former customers are still friends who I have kept in touch with who I still see often.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Back then a customer would take up your time to learn about a camera so they could make their choice. Then drive across town or across the state to save $5. Later when they had a question or a problem they would come back!

Steve
    they still do that...
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscc123 View Post
    they still do that...
    They will soon not be able to when all the proper photographic stores have ceased trading and only online and electrical retailers sell cameras, I live in a city with a population of 700,00 and there are only two camera shops still trading, one a branch of a big multiple retailer that only sell digital gear, and the other a small family owned Professional dealer.
    Ben

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    And if Moses would have turned left in the desert instead of right the Irish would have all the oil, and the Arabs would have all the potatoes
    I always knew we just missed out!!

I remember customers that came in to have the film taken out of their camera and we would load a new one. I even got asked once for a Kojak film.

But some habits don't die. Even with digital cameras we still get people that come into the shop and ask us to take out the memory card and print from it and put the card back in. And when you think about it, these people don't want to know how a camera works they just want their photos. And they will use a camera shop that will help them rather than a selfservice machine in a large store.

The population of the Rep of Ireland is 3.5 million approx, and most large towns or cities have a selection of camera shops so we are lucky. (but it doesn't make up for the oil!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    I always knew we just missed out!!

I remember customers that came in to have the film taken out of their camera and we would load a new one. I even got asked once for a Kojak film.

But some habits don't die. Even with digital cameras we still get people that come into the shop and ask us to take out the memory card and print from it and put the card back in. And when you think about it, these people don't want to know how a camera works they just want their photos. And they will use a camera shop that will help them rather than a selfservice machine in a large store.

The population of the Rep of Ireland is 3.5 million approx, and most large towns or cities have a selection of camera shops so we are lucky. (but it doesn't make up for the oil!)
    I must admit foc I was the manager of photography shops for more than twenty years but have no idea where the memory card goes in a digital SLR, because I have no interest in them, in fact I've never even touched one, I'm very happy with the analogue equipment I have, and have no desire to have to learn photography all over again.
    Ben

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin