Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,580   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x9 View Post
    Try a Tamron 17mm f/3.5. Probably the best bang for your buck ultra-wide.
    I have that one. Not a bad lens. The earlier version has built-in filters. The later version requires a slip-on hood that is often missing (I don't have it) with threads on the front to take filters. I don't think they are very different optically, though the one with the built-in filters should include the filter in the design.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can get a good set of lenses soon. I was admiring Nikon's ability to use old lenses on new cameras last night. My friend had a D-something with a bag full of old lenses. Only one had an automatic aperture. I wish Canon was that versatile natively.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you can put virtually anything on the EOS lens mount, Contax, Leica, Nikon. Have a look here;

http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can get a good set of lenses soon. I was admiring Nikon's ability to use old lenses on new cameras last night. My friend had a D-something with a bag full of old lenses. Only one had an automatic aperture. I wish Canon was that versatile natively.
    EOS is waaaay more versatile regarding lens adaptation than Nikon F mount.
    You can mount any F mount lens on EOS with the correct adapter.
    Not to mention Contax C/Y, Rokkor, and many others.

You CANNOT mount older Canon manual focus lenses to EOS without an adapter than employs a glass element so it defeats the purpose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    EOS is waaaay more versatile regarding lens adaptation than Nikon F mount.
    You can mount any F mount lens on EOS with the correct adapter.
    Not to mention Contax C/Y, Rokkor, and many others.

You CANNOT mount older Canon manual focus lenses to EOS without an adapter than employs a glass element so it defeats the purpose.
    But you don't get automatic aperture, which is pretty annoying.

Shooter
    35mm
    Behold the Franken camera!

300 4.5 ais Nikkor, Tc200, F-mount adapter, mounted on an 18mpx Canon T2i with a 1.6 crop factor, yielding 960mm of WTF?!? for about $250. So, what did I do with it?

Yes, that's the full frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    But you don't get automatic aperture, which is pretty annoying.
    But that's the point. The Nikon can still use the old Nikon lenses with the manual aperture. The Canon can't without an adapter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Beware the Pentax adapters. Pentax K mount lenses have a tab that sticks out and may interfere with being able to use all apertures. I bought one to try and use Pentax lenses on my Canon EOS 7D and none of them work properly.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I purchased a number of adapters over the years and want to share one advice: forget the el-cheapos from asian sellers on ebay or domestic sellers that offer the same garbage. Many of them are just a PITA, sometimes not on the first day, but they turn out to be useless after a while, bargains turn into losses.

Cameraquest and Novoflex, for example, have very good, precise adapters.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Beware the Pentax adapters. Pentax K mount lenses have a tab that sticks out and may interfere with being able to use all apertures. I bought one to try and use Pentax lenses on my Canon EOS 7D and none of them work properly.
    I have exactly that setup. A 7D with a cheapo K-mount adapter and use it with a Pentax M 50 f/1.4 and a Pentax 28mm f/2.8 (all manual focus, but aperture priority works) and have zero problems. Of course only the stop down metering is annoying on apertures of f/18 and beyond as the live view is very dark. The viewfinder is ok.
    My portfolio (film mostly):
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsts/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin