Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,604   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Other lens to EOS adapters and lenses

I find myself lately wanting to use lenses with manual focus and manual aperture on my EOS cameras. This is mainly to simplify full manual operation on cameras where the shutter speed and aperture use the same control.

I understand that the FD-EF adapter is only useful with some of the telephoto lenses. I want something that allows use with both wide angle and telephoto lenses, possibly with zoom, though that is not important. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use this system on both my older 35mm cameras and my current model D... camera.

I'm most interested in starting off with just a few lenses. I'd like something wide, around 18-28mm, a fast 50mm, and something around 85mm. I may want to add more later, like something around 200-300mm, but I can usually walk, so long lenses aren't terribly important.

I have two problems with this project. First of all, I'm on a tight budget. The cheaper this can be done, the better. The second problem is that I don't know where to start. I'm unfamiliar with non-Canon lens systems. What would be the best system to look at?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    M42 lenses and Tamron Adaptall lenses are two options. The Tamron SP lenses are generally the better ones, and most are pretty good, some, like the SP 90/2.5 are excellent. There have been lots of M42 (Pentax screwmount) lenses made, and some are great and some not so much. Zeiss sells some new lenses in M42 (ZS) mount, but they aren't cheap. They also have ZE mount lenses for EOS, but those are even less cheap.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both M42 and I found a good Tamron BBAR lens (35-210mm f/3.5) that I use on my EOS cameras,,, Elan IIe & 7e. As far as the FD-EOS (EF) adapters you have to look through more glass or loose the infinity focus, I have both adapters that get very little usage. For what you loose it is easier sticking to the A,F or T body Canons for your FD lenses.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 07-23-2010 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Easiest is of course M42; you can get a direct adapter.

Minolta MC is pretty easy if you're willing to permanently convert the lens.

But why not just get a manual focus body? Note that you have to stop the lens down by hand after you focus with EOS bodies using manual lenses. It's surprisingly annoying and it's a big part of why I quit bothering with converting my Minoltas and got an XD11. You also get the benefit of a (much) better focusing screen for MF work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also put Nikon lenses on an EOS body. I used to do it quite often, and still would if my adapter had not broken. Putting pre-AI Nikon glass on my 10D has resulted in some of my favorite digital images I have ever taken. The look of this glass is very unique, and one of the great things about digital is how quick it is to compare the results of different lenses, so you can really see that it is all about the glass. Adapting lenses is one of the best ways to exercise finely detailed control of your pictures. I do it, but I should do it more often. Canon FD bodies are among the best for adapting lenses to, as the bodies are so shallow compared to most. There are fewer options with EOS bodies (and most other cameras, for that matter). You lose all of your automation when adapting anyhow (the stuff that might make one choose EOS over FD), so may as well just get a cheap FD body as a base for adapting multiple lenses to.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-24-2010 at 12:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just bought a cheap nikon F to EOS adapter, it roughly cost me US$15, nikon manual focus lens are easily found, and i think the quality will be excellent even on the cheaper E series lens..
    although i have no way to compare it to more expensive adapter it looks like that it is nicely made..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also used Nikon pre-AI and AI(S) lenses for my Eos's (film and digital).
    The adapters have focus confirmation that works well, because of my poor eye-sight; and it helps perfectly for macro.

With Tamron SP lenses, I used 2 adapters : first one for Nikon on SP lens, then the other seen above, on the first...
    Last edited by Andy38; 07-24-2010 at 05:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The original Tamron Adaptall II mount for EOS is fairly rare, I assume because Tamron only made it briefly before introducing their own autofocus lenses with the EF mount, but it's a solid metal adapter with no moving parts, and therefore easy to duplicate, so there are Chinese copies available on eBay for cheap.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

The cheapest option is....

... old T-mount manual lenses, which can be bought for a few dollars, literally.
    Add a cheap $20 T-mount-to-EOS adapter and you're good to go.

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    ...I'd like something wide, around 18-28mm, a fast 50mm, and something around 85mm. I may want to add more later, like something around 200-300mm, but I can usually walk, so long lenses aren't terribly important....
    Try a Tamron 17mm f/3.5. Probably the best bang for your buck ultra-wide. Or Maybe the OM wides like the 21mm.
    It is hard to find a bad 50mm but if you want fast, any of the Nikon f/1.2s, the Pentax f/1.2s or a Cosina 55mm f/1.2. There was plenty of 50/1.4s out that you can find cheap.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin