Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,560   Online: 962

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM-4 - can't always shoot after winding film

I have an Olympus OM-4 which recently started having the problem of not cocking the shutter button after winding the film forward. Sometimes I have to advance the film twice before the shutter can be pressed and picture taken. It's very frustrating loosing shots and wasting film.
    What could be the cause of this problem? Anyone had the same happen and been able to fix it?

regards,

Hlynur

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cameras like the OM-4 have a feature than you can advance the film and cock the shutter in short strokes rather than one single long stroke. Is your problem something else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some OM bodies will develop a problem where the wind lever mechanism starts to slip. I have an OM-4T with this problem that started out just as yours, but now cannot be advanced by hand at all. But a winder or motordrive works perfectly fine as that bypasses the clutch.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlynur View Post
    ..What could be the cause of this problem? Anyone had the same happen and been able to fix it? regards,Hlynur
    I have had this with an Olympus OM2 as well as an OM10: something is sticking in the film advance mechanism and the double exposure prevention mechanism isn't operating. You will need to service the mechanism (if you are able) or have it done professionally.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like the problem Ken N and Galah describe where the wind lever mechanism is slipping. It's a pity, because it's my most advanced and versatile 35mm film camera with it's terrific spot meter system and compact SLR-body.

So it looks like I have to have it fixed by professional (or get a motordrive which unfortunately makes the camera a great deal more bulky and odd looking). There is only one place in Reykjavík (and Iceland) I can think of that might be able to fix it but it's too expensive in my experience.

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM-4

I am more interested in the Olympus lenses than in the bodies. It was also nice to be able to buy some OM mount lenses for a lower price because they weren't in Nikon or Pentax mount. Until recently I had three OM-10 bodies. I was then given an OM-PC by a family friend and not long after that I bought an OM2000. The OM2000 was made by Cosina. It doesn't work with Olympus's more interesting flash units or accept the motors or winders. What it does give you is a much more recently made camera for which there are plenty of replacement parts. It works at all shutter speeds up to 1/2000 even without a battery for the meter. The metering is manual with LEDs and is accurate. You can switch between center weighted and spot metering. Even a working OM-10 is pleasant to use. It is light, easy on batteries and has a bright finder. I have enough Olympus and Olympus mount lenses that the OM2000 is worth having as a back-up. If you can find one at a reasonable price, as I did, you may find it's not a bad camera to put your Olympus lenses on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Your OM-4 has a chronic wind problem and can eventually jam if left untreated. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact John (see above) at zuiko.com - he is the recognized OM repair resource. He will no doubt give you a good indication about what would be involved in repairing a camera that needs to travel from Iceland.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Contact John (see above) at zuiko.com - he is the recognized OM repair resource. He will no doubt give you a good indication about what would be involved in repairing a camera that needs to travel from Iceland.
    And if you want to keep it in Europe and spare you the hazzle with customs, you could try the OM-Doctor. He's an old Olympus repairsman and nice to deal with. He has maintained my two cameras.

Ulrich

Shooter
    35mm
    There are at least 2 types of wind slip. One occurs when the upper wind mechanism wears out (roller bearing clutch inside gear). This makes wind lever action feel kinda rubbery or spongy. This defect can be bypassed using motor drive or winder. Wind mech must be rebuilt or replaced. Other slippage occurs due to greasy wind latches. This can cause you to have to wind 2 or more times before the wind lever locks. Wastes film and can often lead to a complete jam which cannot be bypassed with motor drive/winder. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin