Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,706   Online: 749

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

new accessory rangefinder

Has anyone here ever tried one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...html#features?

The price is certainly right, and it would help with scale focusing cameras. I could probably rig it to a cold shoe pretty easily.

What do you think?

The only potentially deal killer that I see is that it only focuses as close as 8-1/2 feet....but perhaps there is something like it that focus closer.

Another idea I had is to mount my non-working Pentax Auto 110 to the shoe on my Nikonos, and focus its little lens to get the distance.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-27-2010 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Im not 100% sure but I think these things tell you the distance by lining up the flag at the golf hole in the sight. Then you calculate the distance by how tall the flag looks in the scope.

I could be wrong, but for $12 I don't think it is anything more advanced than that.

If I totally misunderstood what you want to use it for, then just ignore everything Ive said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see. I thought that they actually focused on an object and had a distance scale on the barrel. (I don't know the first thing about golf.) Bad idea. I'll just get an old accessory rangefinder or try the Auto 110 trick.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Maybe, this new rangefinder can be useful with the scale focus cameras, as Minox 35 o Rollei 35. Maybe...
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That rangefinder most probably employs a reticle with scales in yard and meters that are calibrated for the image of an object of known size (a flag as assumed above).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Please elaborate: "try the auto 110 trick".

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Fotoman still offers theirs... http://www.fotomancamera.com/Specials.asp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fotoman RF.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoman View Post
    Fotoman still offers theirs... http://www.fotomancamera.com/Specials.asp
    Thanks, but it is way out of the price range I would pay for such a thing. I will get an old one for $10 to $20, and it will likely be better made anyhow.
    2F/2F

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2F/2F,

I too would like to know what the "auto 110 trick" is about.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have one of these golf rangefinders, an expensive one, and it's not an accurate tool for photography. I have one of the Fotomans and it is deadly accurate...Evan Clarke

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin