Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,119   Online: 963

Shooter
    35mm

Photos coming out too dark?

Hi All,

I just got my first roll of film (Fiji Superia 400) developed, and I separately scanned them on a 3200dpi scanner. However, I've noticed that my scanned photos are very dark.

The camera that I shot the film in (Nikon F00) was on programed mode, but the film was expired. (However, the person that I bought the film from stored it in the freezer so I don't think the expiration date's the problem) I shot the photos in broad daylight, so I don't think it's natural.

Would it possibly be the scanner's problem?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your meter could be off.
    or

Did you let the scanner do everything by itself or did you adjust the scanner software.
    Scanning adds an additional factor to the equation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will have to first determine if the negatives are in proper density. I think you mean you have an F100? Regardless, unless you were using the spot metering mode and you had an 18% gray card to meter, camera's metering system can easily be fooled. If you shot in broad daylight, and you happened to have metered against darker than 18% spot, but rest of the are were less, it can easily be over-exposed - which will result in very dark negative. (or do you mean scanned and reversed images are too dark?)

Without knowing what your negatives look like, trying to figure out if the problem was the scanner would be impossible.... On top of it, you say quality of the negative itself is somewhat doubtful....

I'd say you got way too many variables there....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi bruce,

Thanks for the reply. I did have some problems with the scanner before I got it to scan the negative film, and I think I did put the scanner on auto. I'm not 100% sure, so I think I want to take the film strips somewhere to get it looked at. I was thinking I could take it to one of those Kodak photo booths?

I believe I set the Nikon F100 on the matrix meter mode, but I'm not sure if it is faulty. Is there anyway I can get this checked?

Thanks,

Shooter
    35mm
    Look at them on a light box with a loupe. Is it all there? If you aren't sure take the negs to a good lab and speak to the printer and perhaps have a few printed. A scan won't tell you squat about exposure in regard to negative film unless it is grossly bad, or you have already established a benchmark with a properly exposed neg. For further scanning discussion please go to hybridphoto.com.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin