Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,941   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

FD Zoom for beginner?

I have a friend in her early 20's who would like to start using an AE-1 that she inherited from her father.

She has the excellent SSC 50/1.4, however being the generation who grew with with digi-zooms she really wanted a zoom.

When I tried to explain HCB and 50mm fov etc, she tells me about her friend who tae excellent cell phone photos with no zoom. However she also played with my Oly Trip 35 with Tri-x, developed and printed herself and she is so happy with the result.

Can APUG suggest a light weight zoom in FD mount that can be carried around?

It should be something that is versatile enough for her to explore her photographic vision but not too heavy so she won't be carrying it around.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got a Tamron 28-80 with my AE-1P when I bought it...never shot with it, but seemed like a nice, solid lens...

I ended up trading it for a Canon 35-70 f4 (I don't use zooms for film, so I figured if I don't use it anyways, I might as well have something that matches the rest of my kit haha...it's very compact and lightweight, much smaller/lighter than the Tamron and no Adaptall to mess with)...

Both lenses are pretty cheap and from what I've heard decent enough performers for what they are (non-primes). They also made a 35-105 or something that would be an awesome all-arounder, but they're a bit more money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a vote for the Canon 35-105 - very useful all around lens, and available for not-outrageous money if you stalk That Auction Site for a while.

Duncan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Tamron Adaptall-II SP 35-105/2.8 ASL is a great lens that isn't too expensive these days, though it was originally one of their top line lenses, with a wide constant aperture and aspherical elements. It's very sharp, but like all tele-wide zooms, shows a little barrel/pincushion distortion at the extremes of the range. So it's not ideal for architecture, but it's perfect for photographing people at events, where you need to move quickly from portrait to group-shot and can't always stand in the ideal position without other people getting into the frame. Constant aperture will also give more consistent exposures with non-TTL auto flash or an external light meter.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I vote for the FD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5. I have this lens as well as the f/3.5 version, both of which are outstanding performers in my opinion. The 3.5-4.5 is much lighter though, which might be more appealing to someone just starting out with the FD system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Argue with her until she embraces fixed-length lenses!!!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inexpensive - 35-70. 35-105 not a bad choice either. Look up KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to repair these lenses when I worked as a camera tech at Canon, so got to use most of them at one time or another...

the best lens in terms of size vs quality is the little 35-70 f3.5/4.5, as it is sharp and offers very good macro across it's entire zoom range (and being plastic is very light)

the little 28-55 was also a pretty good performer, but not as good as the 35-70..

If weight is not an issue I would get a 35-105/3.5. I always found the 2 touch zoom (seperate focus and zoom rings) to be sharper than the one touch version, and if it is adjusted correctly then it will not focus shift through it's entire zoom range....

Or better still the FD 28-85 - these lenses are hard to find, but are a great general purpose lens.....

But considering she has the sharpest standard 50mm lens Canon made why would she want something less sharp? I'd recommend a NFD 35/2 or NFD 24/2.8 as her next wide angle lens, and a NFD 85/1.8 or NFD 100/2 as her next tele - these are all fantastic lenses
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 35-70 f4 and I'm looking into buying a batch of gear from a local guy for ONE lens (he won't part it out)...one of the lenses in there is the 35-105...let me know if she'd be interested in either one

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll second (3rd, 4th, whatever) the 35-105 f3.5. I used a Canon A-1 from around 1990-2005 with that lens as my main walk around lens. Add a 24mm f2.8 (now dirt cheap, I paid $250 for mine) to cover the wide end, combined with the 50 f1.4 for low light, and you have quite a kit.

Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin