Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,131   Online: 849

Shooter
    35mm

Behavior of Nikon FE's Meter Needle with Non-AI Lenses

What is the correct or default behavior for the FE's meter needle when using non-AI lenses? With a non-AI attached, one of my FEs behaves differently than the other. This FE's needle shoots right to the top of the shutter speed panel (above the "A" setting), and then will go up and down if I point it at either brighter light or darker areas. The other FE's needle does not shoot right to the top of the panel, but does go up and down as per the lighting. Are there any problems or issues here? I am thinking that both FEs should act in the same manner. Please correct me if I am wrong. I realize, of couse, that it will meter with these lenses only when stopped down.

Shooter
    35mm
    When using the FE with pre-AI lenses you flip up the meter coupling lever
    on the camera's lens mount before mounting the lens. Then the lens can
    be used via stop down metering (press stop down lever and take reading).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you say, "This FE's needle shoots right to the top of the shutter speed panel (above the "A" setting), and then will go up and down if I point it at either brighter light or darker areas.", do you mean that the readings are completely off but that it at least reacts to changes in light?

Shooter
    35mm
    My comments have been misunderstood. I am aware of the meter coupling lever. I am not trying to meter. I am just observing the differences between the behavior of the two cameras with a non-AI lens properly mounted (i.e. with the lever flipped upward). Again, when the lens attached, the meter needle shoots straight upward. On the other camera, it does not do this. This puzzles me a bit. Both camera's needles make some type of reaction to light (but, again, this is while simply looking through the viewfinder, and not stopping down via the DOF preview lever).

Shooter
    35mm
    Do both cameras meter correctly when stopped down?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, both cameras do appear to meter correctly when stopped down.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't worry about it then. Nikon made many internal changes within model runs (in those days
    at least) and you may simply be seeing evidence of such.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Bob...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would echo Bob's comment. I have never owned an FE but did own an FE2 for several months and it behaved in much the same fashion. I never had a problem with the meter, so if they are both metering correctly let them be.
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to throw this out there, i just mounted my Nikkor Q 200mm f4 NAI on the FE just to see. The needle stayed "normal", it did not shoot up and down (did not go all the way pass A, stayed around at 1/250ish) on a sunny 16 day ISO 100. It was metering perfectly as if i would have to shoot in f4.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin