Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,865   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had good results with expired film, I was given 10 rolls of Fuji 400 which expired in 2003:

Not too bad,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've shot some HP5 and FP4 that was 6 years past expiry, stored lying around. The end result was very grainy, low contrast photos. Didn't like it at all, although I could see that it might be useful for certain types of shots.

I have also shot 1-2 year expired E100G stored in a freezer that was as good as new. And have had a bunch of colour film (Superia/Gold/Portra), various speeds that were 3-6 years past expiry, not stored in a freezer. The grain and colour cast was more noticeable the older the film was. I'd say that they were unusable for anything but snapshots and even then it was bad, unless of course you wanted that look. Of course you won't know the look until you develop it! But that's the fun of it. Note that I have no idea how this film was stored, could be left on top of a radiator for all I know!
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm currently using some Ilford Pan F (35mm B & W 50 ASA) I bought at a car-boot-sale last year as a 30 metre roll, along with a bulk film loader. The can is marked Feb '88, which I assume to be a use-before date, though it could be a manufacturing date. I've no idea how it had been stored.

Rightly or wrongly, I'm giving it about 30% extra time in the developer, but results have been excellent - much finer grain, in fact, than the in-date FP4+ I'd been using before I started on the Pan F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    I've shot some HP5 and FP4 that was 6 years past expiry, stored lying around. The end result was very grainy, low contrast photos. Didn't like it at all, although I could see that it might be useful for certain types of shots.

I have also shot 1-2 year expired E100G stored in a freezer that was as good as new. And have had a bunch of colour film (Superia/Gold/Portra), various speeds that were 3-6 years past expiry, not stored in a freezer. The grain and colour cast was more noticeable the older the film was. I'd say that they were unusable for anything but snapshots and even then it was bad, unless of course you wanted that look. Of course you won't know the look until you develop it! But that's the fun of it. Note that I have no idea how this film was stored, could be left on top of a radiator for all I know!
    I am surprised by your results with the 1-2 year old freezer-stored E100G, but not with the results you got from the b/w that was "lying around."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a batch of E100S that expired in 2003, but has been kept frozen since new. It shows no color shift or loss of reciprocity.

Film? What's that? It's like digital, only better

Flickr - Nightfly Photography
    Nightfly Astrophotography

Shooter
    35mm
    Great pic, thanks

I only have a few rolls of expired, I think I'll toss them in my toy cameras and the rangefinders and see what happens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektachrome 100 (expired in 1991)
    Holga 120 WPC
    10 second exposure

photo.benmook.com

Shooter
    35mm
    oooh...very cool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin