Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,450   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Expired film...what should I expect?

So I'm just getting back into film...and the last time I shot film was before digital (late 90s), so this whole concept of expired film is a bit new to me...

However, I see great prices on high-quality film both on here and other places on the net...so I'm wondering what should I expect when shooting expired film?

A friend of mine said that the lower the ISO the less effect it has on it. Here are my questions:

Is that true?

Will I notice anything unusual on something that's expired 1 or 2 or 3 years ago?

What can I expect when using something that's been expired for 5-10 years?

How much of a difference will freezer stored mean? (99.9999% of the expired film I see is non-freezer stored, so it doesn't matter, but you never know)

Thanks,
    Tamas

Shooter
    35mm
    The faster films will show age problems more quickly.
    Films that have been stored in a freezer should be good, I have used freezer stored colour neg films that were four years out of date, they showed no problems. I suspect that they would be of better quality than newer films that had been sitting in a warm shop display.
    Poorly stored or out of date C41 films tend to show a pink cast on the prints.
    E6 is much less tolerant of heat/ageing and will show a marked lack of shadow density, I have got interesting and usable results from cross processing out of date E6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Using out of date film is always a risk especially if you come across a killer shot and a film cast lets your once in a lifetime photo down. I would advise shooting some test rolls first .

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak Gold 100 expired in 01/2007

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm...that looks perfect or am I missing something? haha...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most BW medium to slower speed films are still good after decades past the expiry date. Transparency films stored properly will shift to magenta. But shoot them anyway!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! Well I just bought a shoe box full of film yesterday and the guy says all the film was bought within the last 2 years (I don't think he was lying, seemed like a pretty straight up guy), so I think I'm good for a while Plus, I tend to stick to 100/200 ASA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These days I'm shooting Tech Pan 25 wich expired more than 10 years ago. It's been stored in freezer all the time. Developed a couple of test rolls first and they look absolutely fantastic.

Color film however I will not use if expired, unless I want the "look" it may give.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had excellent results with expired film of all kinds. Black and white is the most forgiving, followed by color negative. Transparency films get slight casts that are correctable if reproducing the transparencies as opposed to projecting them. My guess is that negative films also take on color casts, but we don't see them because color balancing is a routine part of making the negative into a positive.

At any rate, old film should work fine if it has been stored in a fridge or freezer, and will often be fine even if it has not been. Ask this question about storage specifically before buying, and do not buy unless the seller has promised you your money back for the unused portion, should the results not be pleasing.

Yes, the lower the speed, the slower fogging occurs. Delta 3200 (a 1000 ISO film) does not last long at all, IMO. Certainly past expiration, but not as long as slower films.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin