Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,274   Online: 985

Shooter
    35mm

Does the Canon A-1 have a fully manual mode?

I know nothing about A-1s, as I've always been an AE-1/AE-1P kinda guy and always shunned the A-1 because of it being too advanced...however, I might be able to pick one up cheap, so I'm looking for some info...

Does it have a FULLY manual mode? All the literature I've been able to find on it just mentions the various semi-auto/auto modes (this or that priority, full auto, etc)...

All the pics I've seen of it I've only been able to see an exposure compensation dial, but no shutter speed dial...am I missing something? Is there no full I'll-set-the-shutter-speed-and-aperture mode on the A-1?

Thanks
    Tamas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, there is. Set the shutter speed on the body like you would when using shutter priority but set the aperture on the lens instead of using the "A" setting on the lens.

During all of this you will still have the internal meter to use as a guide.

Kris
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks where's the shutter speed switch on an A-1? Why can't I see it in any of the pics I'm looking at? (And yes, maybe I'm just blind and/or slow in the head today haha)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's also the aperture dial next the shutter release. Just turn the dial to reveal the shutter speed markings and activate shutter speed selection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should make that more clear. There is a little tab on the front side of the aperture dial. You rotate that and it reveals the shutter speeds.

Once this is selected you then choose an aperture on the lens aperture ring.

The problem with the A1 is the lack of a graduated meter reading such as a needle or bar indicator.

It just reads M for manual and then recommends an aperture for you based on a centre weighed meter pattern.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! So shutter speed is displayed under that little window right beside the shutter button?

Hmmm...the meter reading sounds just like the AE-1P's, then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tv or white rectangle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Thanks! So shutter speed is displayed under that little window right beside the shutter button?

Hmmm...the meter reading sounds just like the AE-1P's, then?
    Yes, that is where the shutter speed is.

The AE1-P had a single meter needle, where as the A1 only has a digital aperture readout. It reads the f number i.e. 5.6 or 6.7 etc

The A1 was my first foray back into film a couple of years back. I found the digital readout counter intuitive, especially for calculating compensation. I like a needle a lot more - such as in an AE1. I now use a Nikon FM3a.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, The metering is like the AE1-P in manual. viewing through the lens will give you an aperture value and then you set the aperture on the lens. It is not coupled.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    The AE-1P has an LED-lit number readout...the AE-1 had the needle Sounds like the A1 has the same as the AE-1P but not the AE-1.

I've used both systems and I kind of like the AE-1P's approach, though I do see where the fans of the needle are coming from

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin