Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,190   Online: 839

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get a Minolta XD-11 and 50mm f/1.4 for under $100. Minolta lenses are excellent, and very underpriced. Canon A-1 or AE-1 Program and 50mm f/1.4 would also be good. Canon FD lenses are not so underpriced, but still a good value. Every time I look at the OM system I get sticker shock; same with the older Nikons, but they're both very good.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pentax MX -- my first "real" SLR. Great cameras. Sometimes, I think the body is a bit too small.

Olympus OM series -- launched the downsizing of cameras. Great feel to them. Shutter speed selector dial is at the base of the lens mount.

Minolta XD-11 -- love this camera. For me, the perfect size. Offers shutter- AND aperture-priority autoexposure, as well as full manual. On many, the original covering has shrunk and probably should be replaced.

Nikon FM/FE -- the FE was my second SLR after selling the MX. Great camera. Larger than the others but smaller than an F2A. Since 1979, it's never failed me. My roommate has the FM. Had a few problems with it here and there since he bought his in 1980.

Rolleiflex SL 35 E -- good design on paper, but the years haven't been kind to the post-SL 35 bodies. Has a very bright viewing screen -- much brighter than the others. Has a unique diagonal split for focusing as the standard screen. And it has outstanding Carl Zeiss lenses.

Contax 139 -- Great size. Outstanding Carl Zeiss lenses. Not particularly quiet, but feels good in your hands. The original covering usually has worn away and will often need to be replaced.

Canon AE-1 -- Roughly the same size as the Contax 139, Nikon FE, Rolleiflex SL 35 E and slightly taller than the Minolta XD-11. Good camera. Millions were sold, so they're plentiful and usually not expensive. Some develop a wheeze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon FE or FM
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bump for the XD-11

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon FE or FM series. Great cameras - I have several.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim k View Post
    Forgive me if this has been beat to death.

I have an eos-3 that is very nice, but it never gets out of the house. It just seems too electric whiz-bang automatic. Yes I know I could set it on M, but its missing that nice little lever that you get to crank on every shot.

So, what do you guys think I should be on the look out for?

Here is my must have list.
    Manual film advance.
    Split screen focus.
    Great lens, 50mm, fast is good.
    Smaller than the eos-3.
    Weight does not matter.
    Currently available battery for meter.
    Metal is better than plastic, but plastic is ok.
    But it absolutly cant feel like a piece of plastic junk.

Look forward to your suggestions.
    Thx
    There are a number of cameras that fit those criteria. The "plastic junk" era began in the late 1980s. Most any smaller SLR made before then would fit. That would include the Olympus OM-series, Nikon FM/FE-series, FG/FG-20, Pentax MX, ME Super, most Minolta X-series models and many others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Asahi Pentax MX with 1.4/50 M lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Asahi Pentax MX with 1.4/50 M lens.
    Agree MX, but any of the 50mm lenses are fine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus OM2n with 50mm f1.4 lens, given your specifications it's the nearest to a Leica M in a SLR, I have no axe to grind I've never owned one but I used to sell them for a living, and they are exquisite like fine jewellery.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To your list add, Yashica FX-3 (not the Chinese-made FX-3 Super 2000), or Yashica FX-D. Put the Zeiss 50mm Planar on the front (f/1.4 or f/1.7 to taste), and there's no more to be said. Except maybe that an adapter will also let you put that fabulous lens on your EOS 3.
    Alex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin