Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,231   Online: 831

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    You could consider an Olympus OM-4 or OM-4 Ti. They are cheaper than an OM-3 and if you go for the later circuit OM-4 or Ti version they are very reliable. Once you experience the beautifully simple multi-spot metering, you won't want to go back to anything else.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't say what your budget is. I second all the OM recommendations - good value, plenty about, easy to get service. Just watch out that the OM1 needs a slight mod to take modern SR44 batteries - either an adapter or an internal diode (although you can use wein cells etc as well). Budget £/$100-150 for a decent Om1/OM2 with standard 50mm lens. Get a good one, have it CLA'd and the foams replaced and you will not be disappointed - should last you years.

If you want a real cheapy, to see how you get on, try out a Minolta X300/370 with a 50mm 1.7 lens. Almost identical (small) size to an OM. Slightly lighter - bit more plastic. Aperture priority or fully manual. I have an X300 and it handles really well. The only downside over my OMs is it isn't quite such a "jewel" and the shutter is quite a bit noisier in operation. There are quite a few dead ones about as well that are dead for the want of a $/£1 capacitor that takes 5 minutes to replace.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Nikon F something...and a Nikon to EOS lens adapter.

The first and second F don't have a meter unless they have one of the Photomic metering prisms (which most do). There are some battery issues; with the F for sure, and possibly with the F2 as well. These are easily remedied, however. (Personally, I just empty the battery compartments and guess or use a hand held meter. I get much better results this way than using an in-camera reflected meter.)

They all let you pick whichever focusing screen you want to use, so even if it does not come with a split screen focusing aid, you can get one and swap it in. Little things like this are the reasons for which you want to get a professional model instead of an amateur one, if possible.

If you want something much smaller than the EOS 3, I'd go with any Olympus or a Pentax.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A vote for the Olympus line from me to, my om4 has never let me down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with the old Canon FD system.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several OM-2n's which I would like if the meters hadn't gone completely out of whack. The metering system, which on an SLR of this type should be relatively simple, is just a bit too complex.

I have several Nikon manual cameras that have proven to be very reliable. For a manual camera with TTL metering I would suggest an F3 or FM2/2n. No problem with service parts, no problem with batteries as they take LR44 alkalines. Motor drives available if you are in need of exercise weights for your neck and shoulders.

A Pentax Spotmatic would fit the bill, but they are getting a bit long in the tooth and will likely need curtains and a re-lube.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-10-2010 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you can live with out a built in light meter, why not go for a nice little 35mm RF? Lots to choose from, and I really love my Fed 2, my Zorkis, and my Kiev 4. There are some "quality issues", but if you get a good one(I've been lucky) they are great shooters, and the lenes are stellar. They are also some what quirky in the way they handle, but that just adds to the fun for me. Oh, and the Feds are available in different colors. Mine is blue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for the Nikon FE, check out Ken Rockwell's site for some info on the FE line. Its fully manual, feels solid, has a nice match needle meter, and comes in black or chrome (I bought my "panda" FE from RFF). It also works with just about every Nikon lens made (except the G series). I always see pretty OM cameras poping up for sale and am tempted, but I just dont think that they are THAT much smaller than the FE, are they? Is there a size comparison of these smaller SLRs somewhere, ala cameraquest size comparisons of the 70s rangefinders?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...lr-camera.html
    Last edited by stewmander; 08-10-2010 at 11:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Minolta X-500 might be another consideration....

Jaap Jan Helder

Shooter
    35mm
    I have several OM-2n's which I would like if the meters hadn't gone completely out of whack
    The viewfinder meter on my OM2n is also out of whack, but the automatic exposure system is completely separate from the viewfinder meter, so although the manual mode needle is off and the automatic-mode shutter speed indicator is not accurate, the actual automatic exposures are perfectly accurate, even with slide film. Just thought I'd mention that.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin