Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,114   Online: 930

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, check your decades. From my recollection, Tokina was already very well known in the mid 1980's when I bought my T90. I remember drooling over the ads in the back of photo mags; the 80-200 f/2.8 AT-X was a very drool-worthy lens, and I recall Tokina receiving favorable reviews. Checking ebay and KEH, there are lots of Tokina lenses in Canon FD mount, which Canon ceased production in 1987.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tamas, the very best 24mm lens for Canon FD seems to have been the Canon nFD 24mm f/2.0; after that, the Canon 24mm f/1.4L. (Both according to user reviews/internet rumor; I do not necessarily subscribe to this view as I do not shoot lens test charts.) Third party lenses of that period were not really in the same league with the camera manufacturers' lenses, though I don't doubt there were exceptions. The very best third party lenses in the mid 1980's were Tokina AT-X, Tamron SP, and Kino Precision (Kiron, Vivitar Series 1).

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to wait for a Canon. You may have to raise the price you're willing to pay, as very wide and ultra wide lenses do not come cheap, even 30 years old.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought the Tokina ATX 28-70 2.8 af and 80-200 2.8 af lenses back in about 1990 for mostly B&W sports/event/group photography with my F4S. They were very rugged and worked nicely for B&W. I had a couple Nikon lenses too and it was all good. Fast forward to 2002, I got a D100 dslr and the lenses. Color fringing from chromatic abberation on the Tokina lenses on a dslr was real bad. I was in a decent spot financially, so I got the Nikon 28-70 afs 2.8 beast which was of course awesome for everything. If you're shooting B&W mostly, the older Tokina stuff will be great gear still. I sold mine to a acquaintance who was pleased to have them for traditional use. I have not tried newer Tokina stuff as I've got most of what I need already for 35mm gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Ian, check your decades. From my recollection, Tokina was already very well known in the mid 1980's when I bought my T90. I remember drooling over the ads in the back of photo mags; the 80-200 f/2.8 AT-X was a very drool-worthy lens, and I recall Tokina receiving favorable reviews. Checking ebay and KEH, there are lots of Tokina lenses in Canon FD mount, which Canon ceased production in 1987.
    Got the decade right, pre-1990's means the 80's Hoya launched their HMC lenses in the very early 80's, I can't remember the exact dates and any magazines etc are back in the UK so I can't check, then the lens brand disappeared around the mid 80's and a very significantly better quality range of lenes were launched under the Tokina brand name, which had been around for some time but relatively unknown. Tokina had been making lenes for other companies like Vivitar for some time.

You're right though after the Hoya lens brand failure the new Tokina lenses were launched with heavy press advertising, and they knew the technology well because they already manufactured similar lenses for competitors. The best independent 28m made, the Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9, was made by Tokina.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    flatulent: Love your username, btw...thanks for the suggestion, but raising how much I'm willing to pay is not really an option...since it also happens to be how much I CAN pay haha. Also, have you seen how much the L and the f2 versions go for? eeeek...I have a Tokina 11-16 for my 30D, so if I really need to shoot wide, I always have that Film is just a side road of a hobby, so I can't dedicate much money for it (and the fact that I'm a student doesn't help haha).

Does anyone know anything about the FD Vivitar 24mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mmmmm, that 300 f2.8 was a really nice piece of glass. I had the Tamron 300 f2.8 and my cousin the Tokina - we couldn't tell the results apart from each other.
    If anyone is looking for a 300 f2.8, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest you pick one of these babies up - you will *not* be disappointed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got the 300 2.8 af probably from the late 90's and it is excellent. I use it with the best of new digital cameras and get great results, probably better than Nikon's 80-400. Wish I'd bought it earlier but didn't have the money for it when I was shooting sports on film. It has gone up in cost with the value of the yen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the advice...I really wanted something wide and couldn't find a Tokina, but managed to find a decently-priced Canon 24 f2.8, so I'm happy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin