Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,718   Posts: 1,514,837   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Older Tokina AT-X lenses? Go for it or stay away?

I'm having no luck getting my paws on a decent Canon FD wide angle (already have the 28mm f2.8, would really like to go 24mm or wider), so I'm widening my horizons to third-party manufacturers...

I have the EFS Tokina 11-16mm for my digital camera (30D) and am beyond pleased with this lens. I've read a lot of good things about the older ('80s, mostly is what I'm looking at) Tokina AT-X line...do any of you guys have any experience with that gear? Should I go for it? Stay away? I have my eye on a Tokina AT-X 28-85mm...I know it's not wider, but it may be more versatile, while still providing the same wide end.

Anyways...any sort of feedback on the older AT-X line would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tamas

<Posted via APUG mobile wap service..>

I have a Tokina ATX 28-85 in Olympus fit.It is a little soft at the edges compared to the Zuiko 28 or 50 and not as good as the more modern Tamron 28-75 2.8.
    But if you don't expect too much it is a fair zoom of its era and OK if found at a price that reflects this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your input! Since I already have a razor sharp/excellent colours Canon FD 28mm, I really don't want to go DOWN in quality...as it is, the Tokina would run me about $40 CDN give or take...

Given what you just said, I'd probably pass on it...anyone else?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had both AT-X and the AT-X pro lenses and the 2.8 series lenses are spectacular. They are really nice and solid, and the image quality is fantastic. The older plastic-framed lens, I had the 19-35mm, was good, but not as solid a lens as the brass and glass 35-70 f/2.8 that I have now. If you have the option, go with the pro series, but you won't be disappointed either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sold photo gear during the '80s and the AT-X line always produced excellent results. Personally I had the AT-X 80 -200 AT-X f2.8 and the 35 - 70 AT-X f2.8, both were quite sharp.
    My $0.02 worth.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also had the ATX-Pro series lenses, and was very, very happy with their performance - 35-70mm from memory.
    Have you looked at the Tamron Adaptall series? These are also excellent value for money.

I sold off my 28mm f2.5 FD fixed when I changed to EF. Kicking myself for doing so - buying another cost more than the first time around! (And both were used.)
    Extremely sharp, good contrast and compact - seriously considered buying an Canon EF 28mm or 24mm, but the price was ridiculous for a lens I would only be using on my film body, so I picked the Tamron instead.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the advice, keep them coming They're much appreciated!

ozphoto: ugh...I DID have a Tamron Adaptall 2 28-80...which I traded for a Canon 35-70 f4 for the simple reason that I wanted the zoom to match the rest of my Canon-only FD glass. I never use zooms for film anyways, so I figured if it's gotta collect dust, it might as well be a Canon...originally I wasn't going to take any film bodies on my trip, and at home I usually use primes...well after my first roll through my AE-1P I decided to take it with me...and now wishing I had a zoom that started at 28mm or wider...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't remember any really good 3rd party 24mm wide angles. Pre 1990 FD mount the best independent lenses were the Tamron SP's and Vivitar S1's neither did a 24mm in those ranges, I had a Sigma 24mm but it was awful.

PM'ed you with details on two reasonably priced Canon f28 24mm FD lenses

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also pre 1990 Tokina was an unknown. The company is actually owned by Hoya but they try to hide the connections even today, but a recent Press releases stated that Hoya wouldn't merge Pentax with Tokina, which says rather a lot

Pre 1990 Hoya had introduced a range of lenses under their own name, which quite annoyed every other Japanese optical company as Hoya's Glass Division makes and sell optical glass to them all.

However Hoya made some serious design and production errors and skimped on the Multi-coating, not coating all the internal glass/air surfaces, many suffered from bad flare, some lenses were worse than others and after a short time Hoy ditched the whole range. They went back to the drawing board licking their wounds and quietly solved all the issues before re-launching a lens range, this time with the Tokina name which they already owned.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a Tokina SZ-X 28-70mm f2.8 in an Olympus mount. I bought this lens new in the mid 1980's. This lens has always been a sharp lens and a very good performer. These were probably better lenses than the 28-80 that you mentioned. I would look for the 28-70 version, but it would probably be a little more money, and well worth the difference.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin