Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,667   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    I believe the best place to have B&W done here in the states is contact www.theimageinn.com
    Next to that and few do the kind of quality that Christi does there, is reedyphoto.com in St Pete, Fla and believe it or not reedphoto.com. I have used all three of these sources. Image Inn is actually the best in all matters, She is in Boston, takes a check via mail, very careful and very trusting of your film. Increadible prints!!!
    Reedy Photo has done great work for me. So has Reed Photo. I personally like Reedy a bit more but Reed also does E6 and Reedy does not, but all three work with Delta films from Ilford. I know that is what I shoot.

Lee
    Thanks Lee, unfortunately cost is a huge thing for me...so sending it away is out of the question I could send it away to Vancouver, but it gets pricey...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone.

Developing isn't new to me, I used to do it all the time in high school, but always used the school's gear. There are a few reasons why I'm reluctant to develop it myself...I recently returned to school to finish my degree and moved back with my parents. The older he gets, the more weird stuff my dad gets worried about, so storing all the chemicals here might not be the best idea (he gets worried about flammables in the house)...plus, I foresee troubles on the whole front of converting the laundry room into a darkroom.
    There's nothing flammable about standard B&W chemistry. All you really need is a bottle of developer and another of fixer (you can use plain water for stop bath). And, you don't need a darkroom to develop film -- just a changing bag or something similar.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmmmmmmmm.....how expensive are the chemicals? If I remember correctly you need a canister or two as well, right?

Now you guys have me interested in this stuff! What do I need? How much should I expect to spend new? used? (I'll look into it myself as well, but while we're on the topic...haha)

Cheers!

Shooter
    35mm
    Also...is this a good summation of the procedures involved?

http://www.wikihow.com/Develop-Black-and-White-Film

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I know to look for the C-41 on the film, but I heard rumours that certain B&W films while not C-41 can still be developed in a C-41 facility...obviously that was wrong.
    Conventional B&W films processed in the complete C-41 process will be ruined; the bleach step will remove the silver image, resulting in a completely blank strip of film. I know because the employees running a local CVS minilab swore up and down that they could process my B&W film a few years back. I'd not been doing much photography for a while, so I figured minilabs had progressed since I last checked. The employees then had the nerve to claim my camera was at fault when they handed me back my completely blank film.

That said, there is a grain of truth in there: If you process a conventional B&W film in C-41 developer, omit the bleach, use a wash or stop bath, fix it in a fixer (C-41 or any conventional B&W fixer), and then wash it normally, it'll be fine, provided the time and temperature of the C-41 developer was suitable for the film in question. In other words, B&W films are compatible with the C-41 developer, but not with the C-41 process as a whole.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the clarification! Sadly, I don't think I'll trust the local people to follow those instructions, so I'll either sell/trade the film or buy my own equipment

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hmmmmmmmmm.....how expensive are the chemicals? If I remember correctly you need a canister or two as well, right?
    The bare minimum you need is: a daylight tank, a dark place to load it (e.g. changing bag or completey dark room), thermometer, developer, fixer, water jug or running water, fixer, a place to pour out used chemicals/water, and a place to hang the film to dry (this is the hardest part.) You need only two storage bottles: one for developer and one for fixer. (Buy "odorless" fixer to minimize complaints about the smell.) And if you use a liquid developer like Kodak HC-110, Ilford DDX or Rodinal mixed one-shot each time you develop, you don't even need a separate developer storage bottle - the unmixed concentrates are already in rather small bottles that have long shelf lives. To mix small quantity one-shot working strengths, you just need an oral medicine syringe (designed for giving liquid medicines to babies, found in any drugstore) and a measuring cup/beaker. Some would say photoflo for after wash drying is also mandatory which would add one more bottle.

Chemicals are rather inexpensive: $20 will buy you more than enough to develop 20-30 rolls of film. Small developing tanks and reels are often just given away or very sold cheaply. A dial thermometer will be the biggest expense at $20-$25 if you can't find one used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! I'll keep my eyes out for some of that stuff I can get C-41 developed locally for $3/roll, so unless I can find this dirt cheap, it's simply not worth it...though I do miss monkeying with that stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where on Vancouver Island are you? There are a few APUGers there, who could probably scrounge up enough equipment to get you started.

If you were on this side of the water, I could give you enough that, with a few dollars spent at a dollar store, plus a little bit at a camera store, you would be ready to go.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks a lot I'm in Nanaimo, the only other APUG'er I know is Lillian (aka Sly)...but I haven't met her and I feel kind of bad asking for a favour before meeting someone haha...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin