Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,033   Online: 796

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F5 rubber grip coming off...

Anyone have experience fixing this? I'm inclined to get some epoxy and a toothpick and go to town on the loose spots....
    Not sure of any reason why that wouldnt work, unless y'all know different?

Thanks,
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peel it all off & use double faced tape.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard all sorts of horror stories of people using superglue and stuff. The guts of the camera are right there, do you really want to use anything that might get in there and damage it? The adhesive is manufactured as part of the rubber panels, and Nikon can replace them for you inexpensively. Why take the risk?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure what Nikon sells the replacement grips for, I seen them on eBay for 35.00 here is a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-F5-GRIP-AS...efaultDomain_0

I think that would be a better option the epoxy. I believe these parts have adhesive already on them.

My f5 grip is loose around the front control knob, I think I will be going this route.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    contact cement is what my repair guy uses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pliobond, a type of contact cement, is what I have seen recommended most for camera leather. Not sure how that would work with the F5 rubber grip.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello

(Lost my password and didn't even know I had this other account from years ago)

Anyway, I had the grip side coming off and decided to order a new one from Canada, I think. The tricky bit was going to be around the mirror lock up, so I moistened that bit first, in order to allow repositioning and it seems to hold. I just stuck the rest of the grip on dry (after removing all the old glue repairs) but didn't do it correctly and so it still has somewhat of an air gap if I press on it sometimes. You might consider a fine mist spray to the entire grip area so that you can reposition it? I'm not sure but I know that some auto decals can be put on wet and then allowed to dry, just in case it needs repositioning.

The right side grip would have been about the same price in the UK direct from Nikon; don't know how much to send it in or include in a CLA - I imagine a lot more. So be careful if you replace the whole thing and once you start pulling the rubber off, it distorts the shape and won't go back on properly. Anyway, the other side is starting to bubble. Stupid Nikon.

Regards
    Jon in Cumbria, UK

Edit: yes, they come with a double sided tape already on - you just peel of the paper and stick it on. The tape is thicker and a bit more durable than normal craft-based tapes, even the heavier stuff from DIY shops, and very much custom cut to go in all the nooks and crannies. There is also a special type of solvent for removing gunk, which you can get, as isopropanol doesn't always work.
    Last edited by Shute; 08-13-2010 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the input- It was tricky, but I ended up gluing back the few loose pieces myself.

Thanks again,
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    You might consider a fine mist spray to the entire grip area so that you can reposition it? I'm not sure but I know that some auto decals can be put on wet and then allowed to dry, just in case it needs repositioning.
    That spraying of one surface with water added with wetting agent will work with plane surfaces and flat adhesive laminated to plastic foil, as after positioning the foil the water can be squeezed out.

But with stiff objects, rough adhesives (as with rubber cement) or 3-dimensional planes, water will stay in place and hamper adhesion I guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    contact cement is what my repair guy uses.
    Yes, it works well.
    Al
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin