Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

battery insert

cris camera in chandler arizona- www.criscam.org I think- sells inserts you drop a 386D in and it steps down the voltage and fits perfectly. My Super DMs would be useless without them. About twenty bucks apiece I think- Im about to order a couple more

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I always liked the Super D, thought it a good design to have the shutter release on the front panel of the camera vice on the top plate where you may wind up jiggling the camera more. Like the Exactas in that regard -- and the Petri SLR!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    consistently indicates 5 stops of overexposure.
    I think it was attacked with a small screwdriver at some time in its life.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You need to get a Wien mercury cell replacement cell. Other batteries like sr44s won't work properly.

I can't vouch for this retailer-- they just came up first on google. Caveat emptor.

http://www.myoldcamera.com/Wein%20Ce...203.25.06.html

The other thing is that the meter is the only part of the camera that does not work without batteries so you can go ahead and shoot-- great camera, great lenses, love the super big and bright viewfinder- 1:1 at most distances with the 58. Just wish the wind and rewind levers did not have those nasty sharp edges. (at least they are on my RE)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a Super D earlier this week and it seems like a marvelous hunk of metal. I can't wait to run a few rolls a film through it, especially with the Angenieux 28mm and other wonderful lens included in the briefcase of equipment I got for a ridiculously low price. (Sorry, had to gloat a bit) Thanks for the battery tips on getting the meter up and running again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The battery you need is a Wein Cell PX625 Zinc Air it will fit without the rubber ring and make electrical contact all round not a hearing aid battery, if you still get inaccurate meter readings I suggest you take it to a professional repairer and have the meter re-calibrated, because what would be a simple job for him could be a disaster if you attempt it, and since the Wein Cell is exactly the right voltage 1.35V if it's fitted in the camera he can adjust it to be absolutely correct.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-04-2010 at 07:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I think it was attacked with a small screwdriver at some time in its life.
    I can only assume the cell is nearly dead, or something like that. I suppose the meter problem may have limited its use, partly explaining why it's in such good shape.

It's OK---I can treat it as a meterless camera and so dodge the battery issues. Sure is a nice-feeling hunk of metal, once you get used to the sheer weight.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought my RE Super in 1968 in Japan. The meter does not work any more, but I use it with a hand held light meter and it works fine. I have the 58/1.4 lens which makes it even heavier. It is a brick, I would rather carry my Leica.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You've got one hell of a camera. Worse case with the meter problem is to fall back on the "sunny 16" rule.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reviving an old thread...

I finally was able to satisfy my teen lust for the Topcon Super D, which has dwelled unknowingly in me for 46 years, when I found one this past weekend in a thrift store in a soft ever ready case. I doubted that it worked, but at $25 I simply did not care if it worked. Taking it home, it appears that there is no brassing, only a bit of minor pitting of some of the finish; the shutter works at all speeds properly; the self timer works; but the 58mm f/1.4 lens' aperture is sluggish and in need of CLA. Now I need to check out if the meter is working, once I put in the PX625 cell which I have been hoarding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin