Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,632   Online: 806

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    It's really more a matter of how large your projected image is rather than distance. You're concentrating the illuminating passing through the slide over a given area. With a wide lens at a short distance covering the same screen area as a long lens at a large distance, the image will be approximately the same brightness. Both digital and slide projectors have a wide enough range of brightness that you'd have to be specific about models to get any relative brightness information, and you'd also need to be specific about the ambient light levels you're trying to overcome.

Projector lenses vary widely in quality, from plastic zooms (and zooms are typically slower than fixed focal lengths) to great fixed length fast lenses with excellent glass. If image quality is a concern, you'd need to factor that in. Schneider, Zeiss, Leitz, Buhl (in the US), among others make excellent slide projector lenses. Wide angle slide projector lenses are rare. Usually a 90mm or longer lens works for the majority of common slide projection setups. Also, with a short lens, you'll need to have the projector closer and tilt it more to cover the same area, leading to 'keystoning' in the projected image, i.e. the bottom of the image will be narrower than the top, and the sides will fan out going from bottom to top.

Lee
    What he said. Get a long lens.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most modern outdoor projection equipment is, of course, digital. This would be a rather pricey rental item, try A/V rental firms.

You might be able to get by with an auditorium projector: if you only need it for a short time, and can put an educational/arty-farty slant to your usage, you may be able to borrow a few from a local university. Also try A/V firms, a big one might have some available for not that much money. These things normally take 3x4" (whatever the standard size) glass mounted slides. Using these with color transparency materials may be problematic as the light intensity in these things is fierce. Color ink-jet on mylar film might work.

Your second problem is 'the side of a concrete building'. You will need an outdoor projection screen, trying to project on concrete isn't going to work very well. Outdoor screens can be rented. You can make one from Tyvek and screen paint, or you can paint the side of the building with either screen paint or the best white titanium paint you can find.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-16-2010 at 08:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Nicholas but unfortunately, a screen is not an option as i'm projecting onto the walls of a high building.

Your note about protecting the slide is also a main concern - I plan to leave the projectors on all night (or at least for 4-5 hours straight). Do you think ink-jet on mylar film will be able to cut it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could get an extra bright lamp modual for an Ektagraphic or even one of those very, very high power xenon units put out by NOVA as far as I know. Plus the proper lens. You'd be all set.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Beseler Slide King, and they do project a beautiful image, though I haven't tried projecting on a surface as large as the side of the building. The one I have was used in an auditorium. There are wider lenses, but they're hard to find. I've picked up a lens or two and some slide carriers from a place that specialized in them. The projectors are usually fairly cheap on eBay, but the accessories can be a little pricey in comparison.

Bear in mind that you may have to make custom mounts for your slides with a Slide King, since carriers for standard sized mounts can be hard to find, but once you've narrowed down the images in your show, it's not so hard. You can cut them from mat board like little window mattes.

It is also a totally manual projector like in old movies--insert slide, move carrier, remove old slide, insert new slide, and then move the carrier back to the previous position.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    There are many specialty projectors made for exactly these types of applications, but even they are only so bright. Typically, when very high brightness is required, multiple projectors are stacked, each projecting the exact same image on to the same screen, with the optics adjusted to bring the images into register. I'm not sure if this is possible with ordinary slide projectors, as you need to be able to shift the lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    If the Slide King cant do it I dont know what can. They dont call it the Slide King for nothing. That thing comes in a metal box that looks like a rocket launcher case.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For your interest, the throw in my little venue at work here is 15.5 metres from projection room to screen, and our fancy new HD projector needed a lens upgrade for that. At 6000 lumens, and with the longer focal length, it projects a 2.5m x 4.44m (16:9) picture really brightly. The 16mm Kinoton here has a 45mm f/2 lens for the same throw with a 1.2kW lamp, and is also very bright.

It has been interesting looking at some of the fancy new projector installations in lecture theatres here - one I looked at yesterday had a 4 lamp DLP projector installed (ceiling mounted, really close to the screen), just to compete with the GIANT west-facing window running the length of one side of the space. Technology battles architecture...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new lecture theatre.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	985.0 KB 
ID:	62414

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Distance is irrelevant, it's magnification that matters for power/brightness, i.e. image size. For the side of a building and decent brightness, you need a thousand watts or three. You get the same effect from a short lens up close as a long lens further away as long as their relative aperture is the same.

As choosing the focal length, it's a function of your slide size and how far away you want the projector. Same geometry as with a camera.

There are occasional events where people project patterns on whole buildings and that particular one is done 5kW lamps shining through 5" mylar rolls that advance every two minutes; I think the image is around the 5x7" size. They're 4-story-high images though and projected onto dull sandstone - if your building is white or concrete, you will get better brightness.

I would suggest you look at getting something at least as grunty as a Goetschmann G67 (it's like a Slide King but more modern; takes the 85mm mounts). 35mm WILL NOT cut it because the optical flux through the slide required to light up a building will melt it. If you wanted to hack a Slide King or similar for wide angle, you could start by mounting shorter RB or RZ lenses to the front.

Of course you can get a digital projector to do it, but you're talking about a cinema-class Barco for many tens of $k, not a powerpoint-thrower designed for office use.
    Last edited by polyglot; 01-10-2013 at 06:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin