Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 864

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Chill. People used the N90s/F90x the same way--why bother with an F4? Same goes for the F100--who needs an F5? Neither had the features or accessory range to match their top-of-the-line contemporaries. Neither were "F" series cameras. Anything else?
    CGW- Thanks for the invitation to "chill." But this is a discussion forum, and, well, I discussed. I'm sorry if we couldn't communicate on the same level as each other. Nothing else.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So the real issue here is whether the F100 is a "Pro" or a "Prosumer" camera in it's time? Isn't it a little bit subjective when you're talking about ANY camera? Obviously we could dismiss the Kodak "Easyshares" and such, but beyond that...? I'll bet there's many a "Pro", if they are shooting film today who thinks their FE2 or F3HP is the pinnacle of a "Pro" camera. I'm not even gonna ask what the real definition of either is, because I'm sure that would open a REAL Pandora's Box and here's the OP, just happy and telling us he got a good deal on a really nice camera.

With regard to that, thanks for sharing! It's always nice to hear about someone landing the camera they always wanted. I had an F100 too - wanted it for quite awhile and had it for quite awhile - and I still think it's probably one of the best film SLR values going, bar none. Solid, reliable, fast, looks good and technically excellent metering and AF/AE. The list could go on and on. I really can't think of anything I would have changed with that camera. If I hadn't stopped shooting chrome and gone down the Rangefinder/B&W road, I'm sure I'd still be using it today. And for whatever it's worth, I probably did "look like a pro" among the other photogs on the street or at an event with my F100 and 50/1.4 or 80-200/2.8 mounted.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an F100 as well. At first I thought it was too much camera for me. It has buttons and switches all over the place. It's too big for my hands.
    I bough an N80 instead. The N80 fits in my hands perfectly.
    But then again.. I just picked up a Tokina ATX 400mm f5.6. When it is mounted on the F100 it feels much more solid.
    The Auto-focus of the F100 is also much better than the N80, not only faster but better in low light and through interference as well.
    Now I'm split as to which one to keep.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Nikon F100 as well. You'll love it, it's a great camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One I always wanted to try out...heard nothing but good things about it.

This camera comes from a line that always had fantastic metering. I can't rave enough about the metering in the F/N90s, the F5 and the F100 is in that category. The poster above uses it as a spot meter for other formats! (I've done likewise with my F90x, it goes down to EI6, fer cryin' out loud).

Solidly built, I think you'll also find it is reliable and is not likely to see a repair shop anytime soon. Congrats on the find.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin