Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,323   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Just got a Nikon F100

It was used, but just barely. Came with a box, owner's manual, registration papers not yet filled out (they are now!), and I got a deal I couldn't pass up.

I've learned from bitter experience if I say, "I'll come back and get it tomorrow," it won't BE there tomorrow. So I took my wife's offer of a loan, and got it.

I've wanted one for some time but hesitated and procrastinated. Did a ton of research on it, even handled one a couple of times, but never sprang for it until now. I own an N80, and a Nikkormat FTn, and several lenses for each. I "borrowed" my 50mm f/1.8 from the N80, and put the kit lens back on that. The 50 is now sitting pretty on the F100. I really like primes, so the next one will be the 85mm f/1.8, and then I've got to decide between a 24mm or a 35mm.

I haven't even begun to pretend that I'm not afflicted by GAS. I love to take pictures, but I also like gear!

With best regards to everybody.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the F100 has to be one of the best deals at the moment. Great ergonomics, nice VF, solid build... and very reliable. Congratulations and enjoy! BTW - I like the older 24 AIS. Lovely lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought one too recently. It's boxed with all paperwork included and barely-used condition. Paid €180 for it. It's a lot of camera for the money. I'm using it with my manual focus 35mm/2 AIS but I'm thinking of finding a 85mm/1.8 AF on the side.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an F100 and it is a great camera!!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like the earlier and much-loved N90s/F90X, the F100 hit a sweet spot between Nikon's consumer and pro SLRs. Have a look here for all things Nikon, especially lens reviews:

www.nikonlinks.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    the F100 hit a sweet spot between Nikon's consumer and pro SLRs.
    Are you saying it would fall into a "prosumer" category? I don't recall if being marketed that way, but, if so, I disagree, I think it was a pro camera that was somewhat more accessible, price-wise. I used one everyday for some time as a newspaper "professional" and never once thought of it as a compromise or anything other than a fully professional camera. It's no F5 - fortunately, though, a lot cheaper and, I'm guessing, lighter (even after the grip/booster is added).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve Mack, you will love it. Probably the best slr that Nikon made. Among other things I use it as a spot meter for my Hasselblads and 4x5s.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    It was used, but just barely. Came with a box, owner's manual, registration papers not yet filled out (they are now!), and I got a deal I couldn't pass up.
    Steve

Well, look at you with your fancy, newfangled camera.
    I guess you won't have a need for that 135mm screw mount lens ?

Ron
    From The Long Island Of New York,
    And The Macro Management and Long Island @ Large Format APUG Groups

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love mine! Congratulations!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    Are you saying it would fall into a "prosumer" category? I don't recall if being marketed that way, but, if so, I disagree, I think it was a pro camera that was somewhat more accessible, price-wise. I used one everyday for some time as a newspaper "professional" and never once thought of it as a compromise or anything other than a fully professional camera. It's no F5 - fortunately, though, a lot cheaper and, I'm guessing, lighter (even after the grip/booster is added).
    Chill. People used the N90s/F90x the same way--why bother with an F4? Same goes for the F100--who needs an F5? Neither had the features or accessory range to match their top-of-the-line contemporaries. Neither were "F" series cameras. Anything else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin