Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,482   Online: 1258

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon F90X

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    .... One nice thing about the F90x is that you can take the MB-10 off and it makes for an excellent travel camera.
    This is a really good point, and one that I've done myself while travelling overseas.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yup. Good point. The same holder fits across several contemporary models like the 801/801s-8008/8008s, too. AA power for these models always seemed like a gift from Nikon.
    Duct Tape!!! Who needs a stinking battery cover??!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what i like about this forum, The 90X it will be, but I will look around for a faster lens.

thanks, you all are great,
    cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a couple of F90X cameras.

I use use these bodies constantly, the F90X really is an excellent bit of kit, metering both ambient and flash are generally spot on. It is a nice body to hold comfortably and the weight is a lot less than my F4s. I have both bodies fitted with MF-26 data-backs that expand the shot possibilities with other options EG: multi exposure, bracketing, flash control and data imprinting. The only thing I do not have is an MC-31 cable to connect my PDA, thus enabling custom settings and film data download.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you're not worried about looks, see if KEH have any BGN grade bodies. Got mine including data back for $49 a couple of years ago. With the exchange rate of the time, even including shipping and VAT it only worked out at about £60. The finish on the back is peeling off, and the window that lets light into the prism is loose, but it works perfectly and has never let me down.
    Ian

Edit: In the US N90S is exactly the same as F90X. Also, just had a look on KEH and BGN body with MF26 databack is now $25!
    Last edited by Stan160; 08-20-2010 at 09:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 2 F90x's and both are great. Many years without a CLA!

Shooter
    35mm

N90s

Quote Originally Posted by Stan160 View Post
    If you're not worried about looks, see if KEH have any BGN grade bodies. Got mine including data back for $49 a couple of years ago. With the exchange rate of the time, even including shipping and VAT it only worked out at about £60. The finish on the back is peeling off, and the window that lets light into the prism is loose, but it works perfectly and has never let me down.
    Ian

Edit: In the US N90S is exactly the same as F90X. Also, just had a look on KEH and BGN body with MF26 databack is now $25!
    I got a N90s (same thing as F90x) a few months ago from KEH. It was BGN rated and cost me $29. I can find NO flaws with this body. I've described it before as "possibly a camera shop demo unit" can't be much more "used" than that. Virtually no scratches or paint wear at all. Nice solid camera. I use it with a 28-70 lens and I'm happy. I also am very happy with my F100, but it was close to 10 times as expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a N90s and an F100. The N90s was a gift; the F100 just came from KEH for $149.

The N90s feels bigger in the hand -- it has a chunky grip. I use it without the battery grip, and think it would be too big for me with the grip.

The F100 feels smaller than it is; I suppose that's the point of good ergonomics, you don't notice the tool in hand.

The difference between the two is in the interface, as was mentioned. I kept both cameras because their performance is similar and the N90s makes a good backup/second lens camera. But I much prefer the more modern interface of the F100. I've gotten used to the dual command dial (control wheel) interface, as it provides a workable simulation of a shutter speed knob and aperture ring. The N90s feels like a half-cooked interface, dating from before the camera world settled on a reasonable standard for the electronic control of aperture/shutter.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    I have a N90s and an F100. The N90s was a gift; the F100 just came from KEH for $149.

The N90s feels bigger in the hand -- it has a chunky grip. I use it without the battery grip, and think it would be too big for me with the grip.

The F100 feels smaller than it is; I suppose that's the point of good ergonomics, you don't notice the tool in hand.

The difference between the two is in the interface, as was mentioned. I kept both cameras because their performance is similar and the N90s makes a good backup/second lens camera. But I much prefer the more modern interface of the F100. I've gotten used to the dual command dial (control wheel) interface, as it provides a workable simulation of a shutter speed knob and aperture ring. The N90s feels like a half-cooked interface, dating from before the camera world settled on a reasonable standard for the electronic control of aperture/shutter.
    When I sold cameras the first thing I did was look and the hands, then asked how they wanted to use the camera and the price range. Those three things would determine which camera I would hand them first.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin