Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,652   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon F90X

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F90X

Hi,

First, want to apologize for the poor English (not my first language), and if my question is breaking any rules, let me know and i remove it.

So, I shoot medium format and large format, but I have always wanted a 35 mm camera because i just dont carry the hasselblad everywhere... (and i want a camera with me, and yes, Leica would be nice... but..)

So I have been offered a Nikon F90X with a Nikon AF 35-80mm D lens and the Nikon MB-10 motor.

The price is 125 euro, the camera looks almost new, the lens have no fungus/mold or scratches (it is without a uv-filter... but looks really good)

So to my questions

1; How is the F90X, should skip and try to get a F5/6 or a F100. I am no pro, but I want equipment that last, and I will be lugging this camera around.
    2; I have large hands... I read somewhere that the F90 is rather small, do anyone out there have a F90x, do you think its uncomfortable to shoot with?
    3; How is this lens? I read that its not really a super lens, but is anyone using one of these?
    4; The price, 125 euro, to much or a good deal?

If you had an option between a F90x and a F100 or a F5, what would you go for?

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi
    I have owned a Nikon F90x for 15 years. I recommend it highly -- it's quite an underrated camera, in my opinion.

In all that time, it's never needed servicing. This is a camera that was used in my job at a daily newspaper -- literally tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of rolls of film went through it!

It's meter is very accurate, I really can rely on it. It's well-designed, with controls where they need to be. I'm 6'2" and I found it a comfortable camera to work with...you shouldn't have problems handling it.

I have not owned that lens, so I can't speak to it other than to say Nikkor lenses are solidly built and of high optical quality.

The price sounds OK. I've also used the F5 and it is built very solidly although a bit larger and heavier. It may cost a bit more also but you get more camera for the price.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice camera--good ergonomics with the MB-10, straightforward design overall. The MB-10 isn't a motor drive, just a grip with batteries and an extra shutter release that's handy for vertical shots. The 28-80 is a so-so kit lens; the 28-70/3.5-4.5 is much better. The F90x/N90s is also great with manual focus lenses. They've become fairly cheap on the N. American market. The www.nikonlinks.com site is very useful, especially for lens reviews:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/equipment_lenses_general.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got 3 of them and they are excellent cameras. Very solid, great metering, good AF. The camera body sells for around $125usd for one in excellent condition these days.

Size wise the F90x with the added MB-10 is about the same as an F5. The F5 is a better camera and usually sells for around $425-$500 for cameras in very good condition. If I had to choose between the two (and I do have both btw) the F5 gets the nod. One nice thing about the F90x is that you can take the MB-10 off and it makes for an excellent travel camera.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    One nice thing about the F90x is that you can take the MB-10 off and it makes for an excellent travel camera.
    That is only if you have the standard battery holder/cover in addition to the MB-10, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were you I'll go with it. It is an excellent camera.

Jeff

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by karthik View Post
    That is only if you have the standard battery holder/cover in addition to the MB-10, right?
    Yup. Good point. The same holder fits across several contemporary models like the 801/801s-8008/8008s, too. AA power for these models always seemed like a gift from Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will want to get all three F90, F100, F5. Seems like a decent price and a good start.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    You will want to get all three F90, F100, F5. Seems like a decent price and a good start.
    Or you could get wide angle, normal and telephoto Rolleis and wear them at the same time as Bling!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the Chicago area they were used by A LOT of wedding photographers. A very robust camera, not as fast as the F100/5/6 & it lacks some bells & whistles. Look for a comparison chart online to see if you need or want anything else. The only problem I have with it is ergonomics, I don't care for multiple buttons & prefer the control dials.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin