Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,713   Online: 906

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, so how many is it?

:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, so how many is it?
    Lots of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yikes O'Malley! What is wrong with her?

Well, if she asks again, you could say that theoretically, a max of about 24 MPix with a 4,000 ppi home scanner (file about 4,000 by 8,000 pix), and about 96 MPix by paying a lab to scan the film with an 8,000 ppi professional scanner (file about 8,000 by 12,000 pix). In practice, I've never scanned anything to make files that large, nor have I ever had a computer capable of working on such monster files regularly.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yikes O'Malley! What is wrong with her?

Well, if she asks again, you could say that theoretically, a max of about 24 MPix with a 4,000 ppi home scanner (file about 4,000 by 8,000 pix), and about 96 MPix by paying a lab to scan the film with an 8,000 ppi professional scanner (file about 8,000 by 12,000 pix). In practice, I've never scanned anything to make files that large, nor have I ever had a computer capable of working on such monster files regularly.

As you said for:
    35mm 24 Megapixels with home scanner, 96 Megapixels with a professional scanner.
    6x6 56 Megapixels with home scanner, 310 Megapixels with a professional scanner.
    4x5 320 Megapixels with home scanner, 1.28 Gigapixels with a professional scanner.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good manners:

You never ask a Lady how many pixels she is.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    "So how many megapixels is it?"
    I love to have fun with the self-centered know-it-all naive clueless digicam snobs when they ask questions such as that.

I tell them that is uses a high-tech photochemical sensor which renders between 15 and 25 megapixels depending on the exact sensor I am using at the time.

I watch them drool a bit and let them know that the sensor is field-interchangeable and upgradeable by the user.

When I tell them that replacement sensors are sold at any corner drug store, they start to catch on ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    I love to have fun with the self-centered know-it-all naive clueless digicam snobs when they ask questions such as that.

I tell them that is uses a high-tech photochemical sensor which renders between 15 and 25 megapixels depending on the exact sensor I am using at the time.

I watch them drool a bit and let them know that the sensor is field-interchangeable and upgradeable by the user.

When I tell them that replacement sensors are sold at any corner drug store, they start to catch on ...
    ROTFLMAO!!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post

Tim Parkin gave a presentation where he "explain[ed] the large format camera in terms of digital cameras," much like you did, and received a similar type of response!
    Last edited by E76; 08-25-2010 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    i love this place... but every time i tell i tell someone i shoot film they just say "i thought film was dead".... -_-
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin