Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,131   Online: 884

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have shot some of the Kodak Gold 200 and it's a great film. I highly recommend it! Why not bring a little of both?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where I'm from, the only films you can get at drug stores and the like are Kodak gold in 200, 400 & 800. Occasionally Fuji, but Walgreens always has Kodak.

Personally, if you intend to take mostly outdoor photos, I'd go with 100 or if you're feeling saucy, Velvia 50.

I once heard said that 200 wasn't fast enough to be shot inside and not slow enough to get great saturation outside. I have no experience with it myself, but you could look at it as the best of both worlds, or the worst.

Personally, for C41 I'd go with the 160 offerings from Fuji or Kodak.... but slides are calling you.....
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    wow that's a lot of replies! Thank you everyone and keep them coming I really appreciate them

I'm stocking up before I leave...for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I don't want to run out somewhere where I can't restock...my primary medium is still digital, so I won't be shooting all that much...I'm thinking 3-5 rolls. Last time I checked (and this was a few weeks ago, hope things haven't changed!) Wal Mart still carried both films

Ektar's getting good reviews, though...I'll see if I can get some of that locally...if not, I think it'll be another batch of Superia. (Last time I got 5 rolls for 10 bucks at a place called SuperStore...it's like a ghetto Canadian version of Wal Mart haha).

Oh yeah, I'd order the pro film...but I'm leaving in just over a week and I'm afraid it wouldn't get here on time.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fuji Superia 200 is a great all round film and doesn't have the boosted saturation and contrast that 400 does. Never liked Kodak 200 relative to the old Gold100. I'd splurge on some Ektar just for the AZ colours. If you need a faster film, try Fuji 800 rated ISO 400-500.

Shooter
    35mm
    Holm: you're right it's either the best or the worst of both worlds...the reason I shoot it is because it's widely available...I just wanted some very cheap film to run through my cameras to test them for light leaks, etc...turned out the cheapest film was also a great film haha.

I have a few rolls of Costco branded Agfa 100, but I haven't run a test roll yet (bought them from a guy who said they're not expired, not frozen, but stored in a cool, light-tight box in a basement), but I don't want to take any chances...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Fuji Superia 200 is a great all round film and doesn't have the boosted saturation and contrast that 400 does. Never liked Kodak 200 relative to the old Gold100. I'd splurge on some Ektar just for the AZ colours. If you need a faster film, try Fuji 800 rated ISO 400-500.
    Thanks! I'll look into Ektar...would that work on the blues of Crater Lake and the blue/greens of Grand Canyon? or is it more just an orange film?

Also, what do you mean the 800 is rated at 4-500?

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji Superia 200asa is, IMO superior to Kodak Gold...if you can still get it Fuji Reala 100asa is excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak Gold 200 as my "snapshot" film. I used to be able to buy 24 exposure rolls in Walmarts in the US for less than $1.40/roll, but the price went up, and then they stopped carrying any Kodak film.

For any of the major film brands it has been my experience that the quality of the lab work is far more important than the subtle differences between the films.

Have a good trip!

PS if you take a look through my APUG gallery images, the following images were shot on Kodak Gold 200:
    "Portal of a different Sort"
    "Broken Tree"
    "Preparing for the ceremony"
    "old & new"
    "Colour in winter" (apologies for the lousy scan)

The two "Water" images are shot on Gold 400.
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-24-2010 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Superia 800 looks very nice overexposed by half a stop or so (around ASA 640 for me), but I'd imagine it'll be far too fast for your trip.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into Ektar...would that work on the blues of Crater Lake and the blue/greens of Grand Canyon? or is it more just an orange film?

It means simply that you set your film speed dial to 400, 500, 640. I find that rated at 500-640, Superia 800 does better than Superia 400 in terms of reasonable saturation and contrast. C41 films like Superia can easily take a full stop over-exposure. The point is, it's handy to have a film that can cover this ISO range and still look good. Useful in lower light if you don't have fast glass, too. Ektar would be great for the Southwest--lots of punch that almost looks like slide film.

BTW, I'd save the Kirkland(Agfa)stuff for something other than your trip. I found it to be genuinely awful relative to Fuji consumer emulsions. My Costco lab celebrated when it was dropped since it ended the chorus of member complaints about "crappy" printing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin