Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,263   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently went down to Monterey, CA and I very rarely shoot in color. Or in daylight. Or with slow film. There was a photo store with a pretty cool older guy who seemed pretty experienced, and he recommended kodak ektar. It's 100. He said it was the best, and his favorite. Wearily I bought 2 rolls and I must say I was pretty happy with the results. Perfect for the beach, and the seals!

You could map out your trip and find photography stores along your way for film. I wouldn't go blind, but its pretty easy to find them beforehand and make a pit stop here or there. I never really liked the drug store brands because seriously they cost the same and the quality just isn't as good, so what's the point?

I'd rather just make the extra effort and go to a real shop, and support a small business too. Plus they can process there, and you know they won't mess it up. The shop I went to even had them done in 45 minutes because my bus was leaving, and they did a great job.

I vote that you stock up on film you like, and get a few different things on the road to try out. You never know until you try...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the replies...I didn't know that companies "misrated" their films...crazy!

You're right that I'll never know 'till I try out, I just don't really want to experiment while I'm gone...I'd rather stock up on something I KNOW is good and leave the experimentation for stuff that I don't care too much if it gets messed up...(ie: monkeying around my home town or whatever).

I really should check this Ektar out..wonder if I can get it locally.

I'm shocked that you guys in the States are having such problems getting film...my local Wal Mart and SuperStore carry easily half a dozen different kinds of film each...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's becoming grim around the Toronto area(GTA).Loblaws cleared most of their Fuji products late last year when they folded their instore labs(no great loss). I grabbed a bunch of short-dated Superia 200 for cheap but what to do with it now? There's only one Costco that still processes film and that's reportedly ending as early as next month. Cheap 35mm processing is all but dead.I shoot mainly 120 C41/b&w/E6 now but processing/proofing is getting slower and pricier. Roll film is still relatively easy to get. Ektar should be available from photo shops around Van, no?

Shooter
    35mm
    Crazy...the local Wal Mart said they're expecting to keep developing for at least 5 more years...and they do a good job at developing (suck at scanning, though...I really have to get my own scanner).

Not sure about Van shops, I'm in Nanaimo, and it's a rather time-consuming and expensive trip to Vancouver I'm hoping that I might find something in Victoria...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...I didn't know that companies "misrated" their films...crazy!
    They don't really misrate them. It is just that some people prefer to (or need to, if their equipment is consistently out of specification) use a built-in exposure compensation of a fixed amount for every shot. Also, the way many people wish to expose their film is different than what many of the manufacturers call a good exposure.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Crazy...the local Wal Mart said they're expecting to keep developing for at least 5 more years...and they do a good job at developing (suck at scanning, though...I really have to get my own scanner).

Not sure about Van shops, I'm in Nanaimo, and it's a rather time-consuming and expensive trip to Vancouver I'm hoping that I might find something in Victoria...
    Crazy, indeed. You'd know best if you have anything resembling a pro camera shop nearby but if so, they should have Ektar along with other Kodak and Fuji pro films. With the disappearance of Kodak.ca, prices have trended up and supply has become somewhat spotty. There are some recent threads on mail order Canadian film suppliers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, just came back from SuperStore and bought their last 5 rolls of Superia!!! They're no longer ordering it...into the freezer it goes!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had good results with Kodak Ektar 100 by setting the ASA dial of my AE-1P to 64 or 80. I like the fine grain, contrast and vivid color punch of Ektar. Suggest you try a roll experimenting with various ASA settings if you have time.

http://figitalrevolution.com/2009/01...0-ultra-color/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grisez View Post
    Fuji Superia 200 is one of my favorite "cheap" films. Much nicer than anything Kodak makes IMHO...well, general purpose, consumer films that is. Ektar 100 is really in a league of its own! The best thing about Superia is you can pick it up at the local WalMart.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you! As of now, this is my only film I use. Everything from Kodak I've used does not compare.....not even Kodachrome! I'm a nature photographer, so color saturation combined with nice contrasts is important to me. Also, when scanned it is very versatile in Photoshop.

Shooter
    35mm
    You guys are awesome...thank you! I've never even heard of Ektar...I'll see if I can track a roll or two of it down in Victoria.

Should I just play it safe and shoot the Ektar with the camera set at 80 ASA?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin