Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,894   Online: 1235

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks...I don't usually shoot people in general and very, very rarely on film...I'm more of a landscapes, cityscapes, travel, etc kinda shooter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I quite like it, it's grain is more pronounced than say NPH 400 but the colours are quite nice if a little contrasty. I understand why some may not like skin tones especially if they use Reala. I took this shot on out of date stock late in the day (warm yellow light)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like it, but I have noticed some ruddiness in skin tones on occasion, but I don't know if this is an issue with the lab and not the film, or the camera, or the lens, or the lighting. The two shots below were taken with rolls from the same batch of Xtra 400:

The first shot was taken with a Yashica G, the second with a Yashica FX-3 with an ML 50mm 1:1.9 lens. The light was very similar in both shots. While still a little on the "warm" side, I think that overall, the skin tones in the first shot are more natural than in the second. But I don't see any excessive graininess in either shot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oooooh thank you for the examples!! The yellow/green/reds seem to be wonderful...but I see what you all mean by the skintones now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It works for me, but I do have a good lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just ordered a 5 pack of 120 to give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a lot of it in 35mm and shot a 5 pack of it in 120. It's a pretty nice film like most people have said. I have noticed that skin tones do look a little "jagged" (probably from the 400 speed, similar to Kodak BW400CN). It's a nice film, nice and contrasty with good tonality. I prefer the 400 speed personally due to stopping the lens down to zone focus while keeping a sufficiently high enough shutter speed since I shoot a lot of 35mm street.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    I shoot a lot of it in 35mm and shot a 5 pack of it in 120. It's a pretty nice film like most people have said. I have noticed that skin tones do look a little "jagged" (probably from the 400 speed, similar to Kodak BW400CN). It's a nice film, nice and contrasty with good tonality. I prefer the 400 speed personally due to stopping the lens down to zone focus while keeping a sufficiently high enough shutter speed since I shoot a lot of 35mm street.
    Funny but I've never seen Superia 400 sold in 120 rolls in N. America. Pro400H but not Superia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Funny but I've never seen Superia 400 sold in 120 rolls in N. America. Pro400H but not Superia.
    I found mine at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I'll take Pro400H or Portra to that stuff any day. No bargain, either.

Curious where it's coming from since it's apparently not available thru Fuji in the US or Canada.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin