Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,644   Online: 932

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Is Fujifilm Superia X-tra 400 any good?

Soooo...I went to buy some Fuji Superia 200 today only to notice that they only had 5 rolls left and not going to be ordering any more (bought all 5, promptly tossed them in the freezer).

However, the store also had quite a few multipacks (I think 5 rolls per pack) of Fujifilm Superia X-tra 400 ASA film, but they won't be ordering any more...these have pretty decent expiration dates (Nov 2012, if I remember correctly), so especially in a freezer they'll be good for years and years to come...

I've used the Superia 200 and have been very satisfied with the results...is the Superia X-tra 400 a good film? Should I buy up a few packs while I can or pass on it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's grainy and contrasty. Greens and reds are accentuated, especially greens.

Shooter
    35mm
    The 400 is more punchy compared to the 200 and I find it can exaggerate ruddy skin, I've never noticed it being particularly grainy but I suppose that depends what you're comparing it to. In any event, you shouldn't be able to see grain unless you print above 10x8 or so or 'pixel peep'. Also, Superia 400 is made in 120 size, the 200 isn't.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Superia 200 is VG, but for 400asa prefer Kodak Ultramax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using Fuji Superia 400 for a long time on my 35mm cameras, and I have to say I like it a lot. It doesn't push well but if you nail the exposure, it's quite good. I didn't feel the same about Kodak Ultramax - up until now it is the worst 35mm film I've used.

Moreover, Fuji Superia doesn't bother about its expiration date - I've noticed no difference between expired and non-expired batches. And it's cheap..!

I've attached a couple of photos taken two months ago with a Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim. This particular batch of Superia 400 had a 09/2007 expiration date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10_050_2-21_750_thmarkou.jpg   10_050_2-37_750_thmarkou.jpg  

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    It's a good general-purpose 400 film. I prefer the tonality of the 200 to the 400, but I use the 400 as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for the replies and the picture, thicktheo!

What do you mean it doesn't "push well"?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    thanks for the replies and the picture, thicktheo!

What do you mean it doesn't "push well"?
    It means deliberately underexposing it(e.g., rating it at, say, ISO1600 and pushing it with extra developing time). That's why Fuji makes Superia 800...The trick is finding a lab with a sufficiently tight C41 line to do consistent 1, 1 1/3, 1 2/3, 2 stop push processing--easier said than done as pro labs drop processing or fold.

Superia 400 isn't the greatest, as discussed above. I hated its grain and awful skin tones. If you're sticking with film, just make damn sure you have a quality lab nearby with a decent chance of surviving.

Shooter
    35mm
    I love Superia Xtra 400! It's a great all-purpose film that I like to use for everyday landscapes and street photography. I don't mind the grain. As mentioned above, it's not great for skin tones, but I'll use it anyway in a pinch. Superia 200 is better for skin tones than Xtra 400...or just order some Reala 100 if good skin tones are your thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like others have mention , a good all purpose film.

Jeff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin