Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,405   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have done a lot of rock photography years gone by. And I even remember some of it! Boy could I tell you some stories about partying with The Band, Tina Turner when she was still with Ike, Stykes, 3 Dog Night etc etc. Anyway I too will be getting back into this niche in the very near future. When I was doing it, Tri-X rated at 1600asa was the norm and you had all kinds of access, if you had a pass.

Now it seems things are different. Gee big surprise there! I have done a bunch of research and contacted some of the leading concert photog working today for advise. Surprising they were quite willing to help an old geazer get back into the game.

For big concerts a front of stage pass may only really give you access for the first three songs. After that they ask you to put your gear away but give you the option of locking it up in their lockers if you want to stay. SOOO, you have to work fast while at the same time playing nice with the other photogs up front with you. Their advice on lenses were, as mentioned before, really fast short prime shot pretty much wide open. Use spot metering so your camera doesn't get fouled by the bright spots in the background. Go manual focus so you can keep the eyes in focus. You won't have time to focus on the eyes with your AF and then reposition for the shot. If you can swing it have two bodies going, one with short (50mm if using FX camera) fast prime (at least f1.4) and the second body with say a fast 85mm (again assuming you are using a DX format). They recommend shooting at 800 to 1250 asa. No flash! The only bands that are ok with flash (for the first 3 songs) are the old time rockers like KISS etc. They have been around the block and know the score. But after the first three songs even they won't appreciate it anymore and you will be asked to leave. Not always politely.

For a small venue like the one you are talking about the situation might be different, but at all times as a photog you must be respectful of the band and especially security. Both have a tough job to do.

Since I cut my teeth on manual focus lenses I will be shooting manual as I find AF to be a PITA.

Good luck and let us know where we can see your shots once you finish.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I have done a lot of rock photography years gone by. And I even remember some of it! Boy could I tell you some stories about partying with The Band, Tina Turner when she was still with Ike, Stykes, 3 Dog Night etc etc. Anyway I too will be getting back into this niche in the very near future. When I was doing it, Tri-X rated at 1600asa was the norm and you had all kinds of access, if you had a pass.

Now it seems things are different. Gee big surprise there! I have done a bunch of research and contacted some of the leading concert photog working today for advise. Surprising they were quite willing to help an old geazer get back into the game.

For big concerts a front of stage pass may only really give you access for the first three songs. After that they ask you to put your gear away but give you the option of locking it up in their lockers if you want to stay. SOOO, you have to work fast while at the same time playing nice with the other photogs up front with you. Their advice on lenses were, as mentioned before, really fast short prime shot pretty much wide open. Use spot metering so your camera doesn't get fouled by the bright spots in the background. Go manual focus so you can keep the eyes in focus. You won't have time to focus on the eyes with your AF and then reposition for the shot. If you can swing it have two bodies going, one with short (50mm if using FX camera) fast prime (at least f1.4) and the second body with say a fast 85mm (again assuming you are using a DX format). They recommend shooting at 800 to 1250 asa. No flash! The only bands that are ok with flash (for the first 3 songs) are the old time rockers like KISS etc. They have been around the block and know the score. But after the first three songs even they won't appreciate it anymore and you will be asked to leave. Not always politely.

For a small venue like the one you are talking about the situation might be different, but at all times as a photog you must be respectful of the band and especially security. Both have a tough job to do.

Since I cut my teeth on manual focus lenses I will be shooting manual as I find AF to be a PITA.

Good luck and let us know where we can see your shots once you finish.
    unfortunately sense im shooting my digis i don't have any prims for them :O i plan to shoot a rebel with a 17-85 (f4-5.6) and a 40d with battery grip and a 70-200 (f4.0) L and use that one as my main, is this agreeable? the only other thing i can do is switch lens on bodys so not much room for variation, also i THINK i have free rain of the place because i was accentual asked the band playing to shoot them, i think i will take up the earphone offer, also there actually a funk fusion band, anyone know how crazy the dancing will be?
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Shooter
    35mm
    oh an those earplugs, is there any place in the studio, calabasas where i can get these or something similar, im shooting it this sat, im clueless when it come to places to buy music equipment (besides guitar center)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    50mm lens, f/2 and 1/60 with Ektachrome 100. Worked for me at many concerts in the 70's & 80's where I had a side stage pass. Alice Cooper even bought some prints. Earplugs, hell no! Enjoy the thundering sound to it's fullest. What did you say? LOL!

Shooter
    35mm
    i got some of those ear plugs.... they work very very very well..... so far, we will just have to wait for the real thing to see if they really work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on the background (assume it will be dark), or if there are spotlights on the performers, it may be necessary to underexpose by 1.5 stops from what your camera meter says. That's what I've seen shooting indoor concerts and theater in a college environment.

If it's a small concert (like a cozy classical performance) without a stage and bright lights, you can probably expose normally.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Depending on the background (assume it will be dark), or if there are spotlights on the performers, it may be necessary to underexpose by 1.5 stops from what your camera meter says.
    That is good advice which sounds wrong the first time you hear it but a meter is trying to interpret what it sees as a standard daylight lit scene. If you expose what is essentially a dark space with a few stage lights highlighting areas in this way the parts of the image which need to be exposed properly (faces, etc.) will be over-exposed.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    well... this is how it turned out, click

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fast film, no flash, fast-enough shutter speed. Easy.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great shots Chris! Practice makes perfect as they say. Sharpness is a bit of an issue, but this will come.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin