Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,146   Online: 1011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    im impressed it went well to, i ended up shooting at about 1000 asa, 1/60 and around f4.0 in the end, in the beginning it was brighter and i was shooting at 400 asa
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscc123 View Post
    well... this is how it turned out, click
    Looks good to me. I have some gig photography to do tonight - black and white only though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice shots Chris, really nice.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found everything from a 17mm lens to a 200mm lens to be useful for shooting live music. Of these, I like short telephotos and normal lenses the best for most situations. I love the Canon EOS 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2.0. For film, I usually shoot with a 28 f/2 and a 55mm f/1.2 on Canon FD bodies. What I have found to be most important is obtaining a fast enough shutter speed to sharply capture something that can often be moving quite a bit.

I also think that light meters are near useless in these situations, and especially so if they are built into the camera. You will get much better exposures based on a little bit of experience than you will with a built-in light meter, IMHO.

I am not thoroughly opposed to flash, as some are, and as I semi-jokingly stated in my previous post. It can suit the mood of some bands very well, and while it is often an annoyance to those on stage or in the crowd, it also often is not. However, I would never rely on it, or call it one of the most important tools for this kind of shooting. You have to learn to make do without it, just in case you are ever forced to do so.

P.S. Flash does not inherently "kill the mood" just because it is flash. It "kills the mood" because of its location more than anything: right on your camera. One simple thing you can do to change the location and quality of the light that is illuminating the subject is to shoot the flash into the ceiling. (Even if the ceiling is black, this works, BTW; it just sucks up a lot more light from your flash.) This makes the light look more even, soft, and ambient, and allows you to use a more narrow D of F than if you were aiming the flash straight at your subjects.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-30-2010 at 03:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscc123 View Post
    well... this is how it turned out, click
    1679 is one hell of an image, at least to my humble eyes. Congrats and keep up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It entirely depends on how you want to shoot it - of course, getting up close is always best.

The last concert I shot was split between a Bronica ETRSi on 220, hand-held, very close to the stage and a Hasselblad 503cx with a 250mm lens on a tripod stationary at the back, just for another perspective.

I should mention that a crucial point was that my bronica had a remote flash slave attached to it which was linked up to two tripod-mounted flashes on either side of the stage. For these hand-held, low-light shots it was definitely necessary to blow the place out with some flash. I shot the hasselblad with longer exposures and sometimes triggered the flashes by hand to paint in the photos...it worked very well.

#1 Tip: Pay attention the the action more than the framing.

Uh...okay, well I answered the question instead of paying attention to the flow of conversation - nice images! Glad it all worked out.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    dereck|james|gignac: have any examples of those shots? We would love to see em.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    dereck|james|gignac: have any examples of those shots? We would love to see em.
    And I'd love to show them. This was an evening of folk music at the Aeolian Hall in London, Ontario, Canada that took place last February. Unfortunately I'm now in China and all of my negatives are back in Canada. I scanned a few of these and emailed them out to the band 'Olenka and the Autumn Lovers' but I don't have access tot he scans anymore...not really sure what to do about that.

I'm going to try to get myself setup over here in Beijing and hopefully catch some local/international talent in this city. I will certainly post some images when that happens...but that's probably not going to be for a while as I sort of abandoned ship when I came over here and am starting from scratch. I don't even have a single film camera with me right now - it's terribly depressing but I hope to resolve that soon. Another Apuger 'Colin C' promised he'll be coming out to Beijing soon so I plan to hit up the WuKeSong camera market when that happens. Right now I'm just earning money teaching art, English, math, etc.

Uh...yeah, that's the long version.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin