Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,555   Posts: 1,599,289   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Shooting a Rock Concert any tips?

Ive shot concerts before... but not a rock concert with 400 people.... what should i bring, not bring? btw... in not shooting film for this one..... it saddens me so, but hay i don't have the moolla for film right now...
    What is one to do as one watches humanity slowly destroy itself?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi - I contributed an article on this a few years ago. It assumes film, and B&W for that matter, but there may be some tips in there of some use.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-practice.html
    You can see some of my work in the galleries here or on my web site.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/
    Happy to take any PMs if you have more specific questions especially about digital settings as I also escape to the dark side in some shooting situations :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last time I shot a rock concert was for a government art publication, so the pictures had to be super sharp - I found my best results were from a fast 50mm prime lens (f1.8), hovering around ISO 400/800 and f2-f3.5 (on a DLSR and Canon EOS 1V). This meant I could track things for focus, and not worry about changing focal lengths for composition... All this new LED lighting in venues presents a colour palette that I don't really like in photos... I suspect it will date all current concert photography to "now" when we look back in a few years.

Marc!

Shooter
    35mm
    that was a great article, it seems that i might end up shooting a 70-200mm (f4.0) on a 40d body with battery grip, was going to use flash but now i don't think i will need it, ya think i should bring a back up (witch is my little rebel)... (i seem to have misplaced it at the moment)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Earplugs. Seriously.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    also what did you make your website with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not to rain on your parade, but the key word in this forum is ANALOG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscc123 View Post
    also what did you make your website with?
    Son-In-Law V1.0. It's very simple table driven design with lightbox for the galleries. Simple enough for me to edit and update after he did all the initial grunt work!

Good decision to ditch the flash especially during a performance. Respect the performer and the audience and get better photos as well!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Earplugs. Seriously.
    As a part time live sound engineer I will second that suggestion. Get the ER20 type which reduce the level but do not alter the tone: http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=ER-20

He's obviously not one to bang his own trumpet * (or is that blow his own drum?) but read Tony's guide to gig photography in the articles section here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-practice.html

EDIT: * Yes he is. He mentioned it in the second post - which I missed!!!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 08-26-2010 at 07:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have shot some gigs and my best advice would be to bring only one fast fixed lens. Photographing in those situations is all about being ready for the shot, and you don't want to waste your time changing lenses or even zooming when something awesome happens. Also don't use flash. Oh, and don't trust your camera to expose correctly, the meter is easily thrown by bright spots on a dark stage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin