Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,623   Online: 1002

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    That is not completely correct. The OM-2sp has a spot meter. Perhaps not as advanced (no averaging multiple meterings), but a spot meter nevertheless.
    You're right, don't know why but I never think about the OM2 SP. And while I think about it the OM3 has spot too, right? I would go for an OM1 anyway, it feels like the Leica M2 of the SLR history to me. Small, fast, mechanical, small, fast, reliable, and small and fast. Everytime I grab another camera it feels so akward to have the speed dial on top instead of right on the lens barrel. Pure genious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    Are there good third-party lenses for the Olympus? By which I mean not the cheaper lenses, but like Zeiss-quality lenses.
    My Zuiko kit is fairly large and you would not be unhappy with the Tamron SP prime lenses. The ones I own include the 17mm f3.5, 90mm f2.5 macro, 180mm f2.5, 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f4. The glass is very good and you shouldn't experience any disappointments. These lenses are adaptall mounts, which means with the proper mount you can use them on other cameras. So, if you see one you want with a Nikon, Minolta, Canon or other mount, don't be put off. Buy it and then get the mount you need for a few dollars more. Bill Barber

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post

Are there good third-party lenses for the Olympus? By which I mean not the cheaper lenses, but like Zeiss-quality lenses.
    No
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stick to Zuiko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by judah View Post
    You're right, don't know why but I never think about the OM2 SP. And while I think about it the OM3 has spot too, right? I would go for an OM1 anyway, it feels like the Leica M2 of the SLR history to me. Small, fast, mechanical, small, fast, reliable, and small and fast. Everytime I grab another camera it feels so akward to have the speed dial on top instead of right on the lens barrel. Pure genious.
    Much as I like my Pentax MX's, I find the shutter control on the OM-1 to be just right. The MX's (on top) is stiffly detented and too short, so is hard to move quickly. I recently handled an OM-1 and once again marveled at how just plain good it is. One of these days...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    Stick to Zuiko
    I won't argue the quality of Zuiko glass, as I have a bunch of it. Picked up a 100mm f2 last night, however I would still say that the Tamron SP primes are great lenses that don't disappoint. I previously owned the Zuiko 180mm f2.8, 300mm f4.3 and 400mm f6.3 and sold each of them and replaced them with the faster Tamron SP lenses in these focal lengths. Both the 300 and 400mm Tamrons are heavier (they are also faster) however when on a tripod the extra speed is worth it. I own almost every Zuiko prime lens at 200mm or shorter, so I'm a big fan, however the Tamron SP series primes should not be over looked. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got a Pentax KM today; as addition I got a Tamron Zoom. I'll try it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have some OM gear, an M1, an OM4Ti, and an OM1. My favorite lens is the old MIJ 50/1.8, and I have a copy on each of my cameras. I've had any number of Zuiko lenses, but I've kept just a few, the 24/2.8, 55/1.2, and 90/2 Macro. The 90/2 macro is probably the best lens of any maker which I have ever used, and I've used hundreds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably a little late in response, here, but....

My "death grip" lenses are the Zuiko 100/2.8 and 35/2.8. These are the two lenses which I started out with Olympus on in 1986 and they are still my all-time favorites.

The OM-2S is the only "real" OM body with continous-reading spot-meter functionality. The OM-3/3Ti, 4/4Ti bodies will do the same, but only after you have pressed the spot-meter button once and then they only give you a floating dot. The OM-2S, in manual mode, has the bar-scale match-needle display showing the spot-meter reading in real-time.

No OM kit is complete until you have the OM-3Ti. It's a disease, really.

As to size, I know there is a fascination with pancake lenses, but the length of the 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 24/2.8, etc., are just about perfect because when you lay the camera in your left palm the aperture and focus rings fall perfectly in place. With the pancakes your fingers want to go beyond the nose of the lens and will end up in your picture. In fact, with the 24/2.8, I still suffer this problem so I use the matching lens shade, not for shading, but for keeping my fingers in place.

Oh, and as to completing the kit with an OM-3Ti? Hahahahaha... There's always something more. You'll be collecting all variations of each lens.

Ken
    www.zone-10.com
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin