Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,032   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minimum hand held shutter speed calculation

I shoot with a Mamiya 645 super and was wondering how the 35mm SLR rule of thumb of 1/focal length of the lens for the minimum hand held shutter speed works with MF is it the same?

Thanks

Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It would. Bigger camera, might double that just to be on the safe side. Unless you have not a worry in the world.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Harvey View Post
    I shoot with a Mamiya 645 super and was wondering how the 35mm SLR rule of thumb of 1/focal length of the lens for the minimum hand held shutter speed works with MF is it the same?

Thanks

Chris
    We talked about this in a recent thread: It's not a 35mm rule, it's a MF rule. It's way too liberal for 35 mm!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a flash of deja vu:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/7...ule-thumb.html

It is a good question.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph:

Great minds think alike - on most things!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ralph:

Great minds think alike - on most things!
    Matt

Full agreement would be boring!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cheers folks thanks for your help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just a rule of thumb anyhow, so isn't universally accurate; only better than nothing for those who have not yet found out for themselves. I find hand holdable speeds to vary from camera to camera, and even from shot to shot with the same camera, depending on how it is being held. You need to try it yourself with each camera and see what you get.

I find that waist-level-viewing cameras give the best slow-shutter hand holdability. I find them better than eye-level-viewing cameras in this area because they are often cradled in the hands very solidly (and these hands are connected to arms which are also more solidly located against the body), and the camera is also often braced against your body as well.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-30-2010 at 03:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking back through pre WWII photo-books the minimum recommended hand held shutter speeds were the same regardless of format, with a standard lens. This is borne out in practice, it's no different using a 35mm camera hand held as as 5x4 Press camera, at speeds like a 1/25th(/30th), 1/50th(1/60th) etc, all increase in sharpness with shutter speed. A larger format doesn't make it easier, the lesser enlargement factor might mask it slightly but any slight wobble is amplified by the larger sized format so it evens out

It was the German 35mm camera systems that brought in the rule of thumb with regard to focal length & shutter speeds, the range-finder Leica's & Contax's, followed by the SLR Exacta's and Praktina's in the late 30's an it doesn't have it's roots in medium format at all, but can of course be applied there as well.

These 35mm cameras where the first mass market cameras that could take a wide variety of lenses and be hand-held. It was a few years before MF cameras began to catch up in terms of lens ranges etc, Hasselblad being the first.

The rule of thumb using a minimum shutter speed equal to focal length breaks down anyway as soon as you use wide angle lenses, you can't shoot hand held at a 1/15th easily with a 17mm WA. It's just a very loose quick and dirty guide for standard & more importantly telephoto lenses.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-30-2010 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    ... A larger format doesn't make it easier, the lesser enlargement factor might mask it slightly but any slight wobble is amplified by the larger sized format so it evens out ...
    The larger the format, the larger the CoC, the less camera shake has an effect. Since we are talking about a focal-length depending rule-of-thumb, the larger format does not amplify camera shake. It's easier to hand-hold a 50mm MF lens than the same focal length on a 35mm camera.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin