Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,651   Online: 854

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

My EOS 5 died ? :-(

Out of the blue, my EOS 5 stopped working today. One moment I was taking picture of my daughter and the next the LCD was blank.

I checked the batter, but it still has 5.7V, so it can't be the problem IMO.

What do I do? I can't rewind the film, but I don't want to take the camera apart with film still inside. Is it possible to rewind manually in the dark room?
    Last edited by jernejk; 08-29-2010 at 01:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    It's probably the battery, try a new one. My EOS50 indicates the current battery at 5.8V as empty. The problem isn't the voltage but the internal resistance which is too high.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Will try tomorrow. I really hope that's the problem, but I only sot a few films with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    hi,
    I tried on mine, you can remove the film in the darkroom manually. Just open, remove, pull and rewind manually in the dark.

good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well what do you know, it was the battery. No low batt signal, no nothing, it just died. Strange.
    I found some info that Canon Sweden did in fact reprogram EOS 5 back in the days as they found that cuttoff voltage is set to high. It was supposedly reprogrammed through the hot shoe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    Well what do you know, it was the battery. ...
    Time to send this thread to the deleted thread.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon's EOS 5 has a few other known problems that affect the LCD display, display drivers and power circuit, quite apart from its well known penchant for prematurely exhausting the 2CR5 battery.

The most common repair for the 5 is (and is likely to remain) interventional rather than remedial. Derangement of the internal and external displays through persistent exposure to high humidity and rain (through seepage) is well known, and is all too often mistaken for a bad battery. Also a problem is prolonged exposure in, for instance, seaside environments. The EOS 5 has very poor sealing from the elements — something that needs to be considered when using it in what is termed adverse conditions. Displays affected by humidity or a display driver circuit will manifest as gradual fading to nothing when used in conditions that favour it, returning to a visible display when humidity drops. Some twits have put their camera in a moderately hot oven to speed up the "recovery", only to introduce more problems so profound as to render the camera useless!

This nasty display problem cannot be remedied through service, which usually involves, to the best possible degree, re-soldering of affected circuit bridges, replacement as needed of display driver components (this can often exceed the value of the camera itself) and reassembly with little useful repatriation of what limited body sealing had existed. The best solution is to buy a camera that has much better sealing and more robust circuitry e.g. EOS 1N, EOS 1V or the EOS 33. Repeated exposure to salty environments (beaches) will affect most cameras, more dramatically so where lenses are frequently changed.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 08-30-2010 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin