Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hal

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta SR-T Dilemma

Hi APUG,

Just hoping for some advice on a dilemma I'm facing; on Saturday, after much searching, I finally found what seemed to me the perfect camera for my own "1 camera, 1 lens, 1 film, 1 year" project (starting mid-September when I head to university). It was a nearly pristine SR-T 101 and came with a metal-barreled 55m f1.7 lens. Everything seems smooth and works as it should, including the meter.

Now, the problem; I find it more difficult than I expected to focus using the microprism in medium to dim indoor lighting. The potential cure, which I discovered today, is an SR-T 303b (202 in America), for sale at the local camera shop for €15, which has a split-image rangefinder (and aperture read-out in the viewfinder) but a non-functioning meter; how difficult is exposure without a meter (anyone have any good online resources)? I know that many people work this way, but if it takes a long time to learn then I'm not sure I feel like spending several months (or more) out of my year learning how and losing shots in the mean-time.

If anyone has any opinion on this, I'd be glad to hear it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focus back and forth quickly and you will find the right spot much faster.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, I think Steve may have gotten one right for once. Look, you'll be focusing wide open and shooting perhaps a little opened up in most of those conditions, anyway. The DOF should make any very slight focal errors more than acceptable, right?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Actually, I think Steve may have gotten one right for once. ...
    Chris, how would you like to be drop kicked through the uprights?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    (Arms upright)
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stop relying on in-camera meters and get a handheld meter, you'll be much happier that way, plus your exposures will be better. I was told this when I first started out, didnt pay it no mind then. But now I know its true. So, get the 202. If not, the 101 will be just fine. It just takes time and practice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would keep the SRT-101. At the least try shooting a roll with a microprism and with a split-image screen - you may find you like the microprism after all.

The best things to focus on with a microprism are specular reflections, areas of large texture or high-contrast demarcations. Move the camera back and forth slightly while focusing - if the image is out of focus it will sparkle/break-up, if it is in focus it will remain steady.

The best screen combines a split-image with a microprism. If I have to live with only one I prefer a microprism. A split-image screen invariably has the prism in the wrong orientation - some screens have the prism at 45 degrees but this isn't a panacea.

As far as metering is concerned it is a good idea to have a working behind-the-lens meter. You can always use a hand-held meter if you want. A behind the lens meter is very, very useful - that's why all modern SLR's have them.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-31-2010 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Hi APUG,

Just hoping for some advice on a dilemma I'm facing; on Saturday, after much searching, I finally found what seemed to me the perfect camera for my own "1 camera, 1 lens, 1 film, 1 year" project (starting mid-September when I head to university). It was a nearly pristine SR-T 101 and came with a metal-barreled 55m f1.7 lens. Everything seems smooth and works as it should, including the meter.

Now, the problem; I find it more difficult than I expected to focus using the microprism in medium to dim indoor lighting. The potential cure, which I discovered today, is an SR-T 303b (202 in America), for sale at the local camera shop for €15, which has a split-image rangefinder (and aperture read-out in the viewfinder) but a non-functioning meter; how difficult is exposure without a meter (anyone have any good online resources)? I know that many people work this way, but if it takes a long time to learn then I'm not sure I feel like spending several months (or more) out of my year learning how and losing shots in the mean-time.

If anyone has any opinion on this, I'd be glad to hear it.
    Just get a hand held meter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin