Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,524   Online: 836

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Confessions of a camera bagaholic

Take a look at David Alan Harvey's obsession with camera bags. I think it's the Imelda Marcos of camera bags. This video is a lot of fun.

Remember this photographer's rule...If you don't pack it, you'll need it.

http://pdnpulse.com/2010/08/friday-f...ion-video.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It makes me feel a lot better about the eight camera bags I have.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Now I don't feel so guilty that I'm thinking of looking for yet another bag! The problem is dealing with many different situations and differing equipment selections for a given "project." I have a Lowepro Computrekker (I think it is) that I keep my Bronica gear in, and might use to carry it in the car, but I'm not sure my weary old bod could deal with it on my back very long out in the field, unless I half empty it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't feel guilty. Some women have $600 Prada bags. And it's just for looks and status. Camera bags are for utility. My criteria for a bag when I travel with a camera is that it shouldn't look like a camera bag but functions well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow ! I feel much better, even if I still lust for a (second) Six-Million $ Home for my cameras !!! Didn't show it to SWMBO though, because I already now her answer !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    That brought a smile to my face

I am fortunate in that I have only ever had two bags:-

1. Lowepro Nova 160AW - small and handy (far too many pockets and zips Grrrr!)

2. Domke F2 - this is my bag (man )

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    All my "real" camera bags are pretty crappy nylon/canvas jobs, second hand stuff. I have 3 or 4 but they're mostly for storage of my camera gear at home. When I go out to shoot my leather saddlebag backpack is my chosen camera bag, or my purse is if I am packing really light.

When it comes down to it I only really like those really old, real leather camera bags that look like a 60's era photojournalist trekked over half the planet with them. You know the heavy cow hide kind with heavy duty zipper or rawhide strips, and the heavy kind of bronze fittings/buckles that they don't really make anymore, tons of pockets for stuff.

My backpack is as close as I've actually ever been to having one of my own, but it works. Same basic idea. It's got tons of handy pockets, it's waterproof, naturally thick enough that if my lenses are in their cases they're basically padded, more than big enough that I could pack a camera, a few lenses etc, and still have enough room for 2-3 days worth of clothes if I had to go there.

Yeah, I could go there and have. I'm a woman who knows how to pack VERY light. My idea of full supplies for a week in Europe would actually fit in that backpack and maybe a light tote or larger sling bag purse, seriously. I don't travel and check in with suitcases usually. When it comes to things other than my camera gear I'm more of a buy it as you need it and trash it as you go kind of vacationer. If it all weighs more than 20lbs, and can't fit under my seat on a plane? Something has to go. I always figure unless I am remote Tibet or something they likely have drugstores with shampoo, underwear, and extra socks where I am going, you know?

I feel I only need ONE camera bag actually, but unfortunately I've never found the equivalent of my backpack in a modern camera bag so I just make do with whatever works. Ideally I'd like my backpack with 2 sets of straps so I can use it more as a messenger type bag sometimes, a bit bigger and with even more in the way of pockets and even more padding in the lining for those. I like the old saddlebag leather bit. It really works for me, and my backpack is harder to slash because of the way
    it's made, but I'd still like that look and so forth with more locks, and maybe some steel in some good places as well as the thick leather.

One thing about carrying it though. No one tends to mess with me while I am carrying it. I've never had anyone even try to go for it. I also wear an old leather jacket very like, and a hat to keep the sun off that's made like it. Good heavy walking boots, usually jeans, good knife hidden in my boot.

I'm not that big, and I am a woman besides but there's something about that outfit and bag that makes people back off. I guess that's a good thing, but if any of you all ever see a woman walking around with what looks like a saddle bag looking vaguely like a female, Indiana Jones type with a Pentax stuck in front of her face somewhere, likely it will be me....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
    or my purse is if I am packing really light.
    The US use the word purse for what we in the UK call a handbag. A UK purse is a small item for carrying money in. What is the US name for this?

Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
    good knife hidden in my boot.
    I don't think that's a good idea.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think purse is correct in the USA too.Calling a handbag a purse is a generic slang word like calling a 747 a plane maybe.Ron G

Shooter
    35mm
    That's a change purse or wallet here, pretty much. A purse is a ladies handbag type thing. As for the knife in my boot, why not? FYI, I do know how to use it. I'm not always walking in the best part of town doing my thing. I do keep my head up and my ears open, but a little extra protection isn't a bad thing and a service utility boot knife is legal in most places I go to. Besides which having a couple of knives is handy sometimes. I also carry a Swiss Army pocket knife with a bunch of tools in my jeans pocket just in case I need it.

Oh and like Indy, no kidding, when I am really out there away from home, I'm talking nature hike time here, I usually do have a leather whip in my pocket. I actually got that as a joke a few years back, BMF, to match my hat, jacket and backpack. I barely know how to use it. I rarely take it out, but it has come in handy once or twice, grin. I've scared off a wanna be bad arsed pup or two with it.

I believe in being "armed" up and to a point when I am wandering around. I'm somewhat little, and I've found that life can be unpredictable no matter what you do to stay out of trouble. I don't particularly like guns, but I do like knives and other weapons. I also have a big walking stick that I carry a lot. It mostly serves as a cane when I need one, but I could also crack a skull if I had to with it.

Short of someone brandishing a gun at me, in which case they can have the darned wallet and my gear, I do want to be able to fight back. I'm no one's victim if I can help it. Wandering all over unprepared to defend yourself in this day and age isn't too bright, particularly if you are a woman and therefore seen as more vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The US use the word purse for what we in the UK call a handbag. A UK purse is a small item for carrying money in. What is the US name for this? (RE knife in boot.) I don't think that's a good idea. Steve.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin