Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,002   Online: 927

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 24mm Joy!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

24mm Joy!

Hi, all -

A new-to-me Nikkormat and 24/2.8 arrived late last week. Spent some time messing with the 24 to fix the loose focus ring, but ultimately decided I'd better test it first to see if it was worth the effort.

Now, I've wanted a 24 since I was new to photography, reading John Shaw books. And the I got the Nikkormat only because the 24 was so accessible. So, I bought into a new system.

Boy, am I glad I did.

Took the camera out this morning through a few favorite haunts in Birdsboro, PA. Light was a bit harsh, but I went anyway. These are all between f/5.6 and f/16.

The camera's a beaut. Meter seems about right, maybe over exposing a half stop or so, but I'm using a 1.4V battery, so that might be the issue. Easy enough to fix. The ergonomics are so nice that I'm actually pondering selling my M42 gear. This camera is that nice to use.

The 24/2.8 is probably the sharpest 35mm lens I've ever owned, surpassing my beloved Canon 28mm EF. Just brutally sharp. I love it. The perspective is intuitive, and absolutely fun. Requires a little attention to keep shadows out of the frame, but I'm loving it.

The film was Rite Aid 200, developed and scanned at CVS. Last couple times I went to CVS, the scans were horrible. I commented to that effect to the 20 yr-old tech today, and he gave me the best scanning I've ever gotten from a lab. For $5 total. I'm a happy camper.

One sad note, though: The 200+ foot tall water tower in Birdsboro, that's been a favorite subject for years and has stood over the town for an extremely long time, has apparently been demo'ed. It's gone. I'm truly bummed about it, too. But considering how much fun I had with the Nikkormat and the 24, I think I'll survive.

Thanks for looking.
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a pair of Nikkormat FTN's from a local Craigslister, and I know what you mean about the feel and operation of the camera. I use F2 when shooting 35mm, but I really like these. When I was in school in the early 70's, a lot of my friends preferred the Nikkormat over the F for the ergonomics you mention, even though the ground glass framing is more accurate on the F. And the 24 is a sweet lens. I picked one up with the 2 Nikkormats, and have another I've had for years.

BTW - your message suggests that you posted images, but I don't see any. ??
    Anyone else have trouble seeing them?
    This isn't the first time I've had this problem since the new site upgrade.
    And, yes, I'm logged in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi, George-

The images are inline within the post. Show up fine on my computer - maybe they need a while to load? Dunno.

Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First the 24, then a 20. GAS will strike again.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those old Nikon lenses are great. I just got a Nikkormat because it came with a 50mm f/1.4, a Vivitar 200mm prime, a 2x tele extender, and a reversal ring for the 50 all for far less than half of what keh.com sells the 50 for. I can't get the battery cover open, so it is all manual. I threw some cheap color film in it. I've never been so impressed by color negative film before. I realized that it was the lenses for my Canon EOS system, not the film or the process that always made me not like color negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 24 and a 17 which I use all the time. I love wide angle lenses.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah Jeff, I'm atotal wide angle slut. If I ever win the lottery, or a rich unknown relative dies and leaves me his, or her fortune, My heart is set on the 37mm for my rb67.

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That kit treats you well ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah yes, another soul lost to the 'wide side'! I discovered long ago that a 24mm and a 90mm were my favorite primes. Congrats on getting the Nikkormat along with the 24mm Nikkor. The Nikkormats are in a class of their own.
    Al
    No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photoncatcher View Post
    Yeah Jeff, I'm atotal wide angle slut. If I ever win the lottery, or a rich unknown relative dies and leaves me his, or her fortune, My heart is set on the 37mm for my rb67.
    You too! I have a RB67 also, I would love to have a 37mm for it. Right now all I got is the 50mm.(I also have the 90 and the 180)

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin