Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,648   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-PC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I have 4x OMPC/40's (don't ask!!), and they're quite solid metal construction. The rubber grips go quite horrid with age, and they chew through batteries like nothing I've seen - refusing to work point blank if they are dead. HOWEVER, they are an excellent little camera for photographing theatrical performance, so I've used them for work quite a bit (couple hanging 'round my neck with different OM prime lenses), shooting at 3200, the fancy 80's "ESP" metering is dead on, particularly in theatrical environments that are mostly black with bright highlights. Even though I have my fancy EOS 1v, I've hung on to these - they are rugged, black, and useful.

Marc!

I had OM-2 and OM-2n s back in the 1980s. Wonderful cameras based on design/features. But... my 3 were terribly unreliable. New batteries would go flat with no warning...ending the shoot. Olympus optics are second to none... but the OM-2s were a huge disappointment. I bought a OM-PC last year and loved it, but sold it as it was out of my system.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just acquired a Zuiko 100mm f2/8 portrait lens. Can the OM-PC be in PROGRAM mode with this lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 35mm View Post
    I just acquired a Zuiko 100mm f2/8 portrait lens. Can the OM-PC be in PROGRAM mode with this lens?
    The OM-PC works with all OM lenses. The Program mode doesn't require any unusual functionality from the lenses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 35mm View Post
    It should work with no problems. Set the camera's mod switch to "PROGRAM".
    Set the lens aperture to the highest number (smallest aperture).
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the quick response. The 100mm lens is so SWEET.

The OM-PC seems to get a bad rap; however, it's become my preferred camera when I run out the door to shoot analog. It meters very accurately; I don't take bad photos because of this camera, I take bad photos because of composition; but at least they're sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ompc was my first olympus camera. It worked really well and never gave me problems even shooting in the cold. The rubber surfacing cleans up nicely and Is contoured to give your hand a decent grip. It's a very light camera and was never a burden on my neck. I gave it away earlier this year to a forum member here.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two of these. One came from a family friend who went digital. The other was an eBay purchase and was overhauled by John Hermanson. It's a very pleasant camera to use. The ESP metering option is rudimentary compared to a later Nikon Matrix metering mode but it's still more than adequate for must purposes and especially with print film. The one adjustment I had to make in using the camera was to tape over the film reminder window. The inside foam piece is no longer available. I suppose someone could cobble one together but the black tape prevents light leaks.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The OM-PC with ESP metering works wonderfully for slide photography. And any backlit scenes. My other auto-exposure OMs (OM2. OM2s, OM4t) can't come close to the OM-PC. Unexpectedly, my OM-10 is second, better than the 2's and 4's.

BUT!!! Don't use power winders on an OM-PC. It is metal construction but has plastic film advance parts that seem to melt or sieze up under the stress of a winder. Advance carefully by hand and don't try to rip through the film. Take it easy and that OM-PC/40 will serve you well.

And, take out the batteries between uses.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    It's funny that you mention a winder. I have an OMG with a winder attached and so far it has worked well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have the Olympus 100mm f2.8 and the 85mm f2. I must admit that the 100mm f2.8 is a bit sharper than the 85mm. At 1/3 the price even. So no need to get the 85 if you already have the 100. Almost no CA wide open, and gone at f4. So works well on digital as well.

Regarding the OMPC, I have not used one myself but i have held one. Seemed much more substantial than an OM10. Good to know the metering is good.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin