Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,963   Online: 1204

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-PC

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM-PC

I was reading a 1985 National Geographic when I saw an ad for the OM-PC...apparently it has some extra automagical metering capabilities compared to other cameras, but I have never seen this camera mentioned on this forum and never seen one for sale used anywhere. Did they ever make it? How did it work? Did it work well?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always thought that "PC" stood for plastic camera, because of the construction. Its a very light weight entry level body and doesn't appear to have the pro qualities needed for longevity.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, I thought it was some ultra-high-end thing that read your pupil and could focus or meter wherever you looked. Wasn't there a camera made that could track your eye's position? I seem to remember reading about such a thing, but maybe it was in a book. I read a lot of scifi.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some Canon EOS cameras offered Eye Control Focusing:

From Wikipedia:

Eye-controlled focusing

Through the tracking of eyeball movements, EOS cameras equipped with eye-controlled focusing (ECF) are able to choose the appropriate autofocus point based on where the user is looking in the viewfinder frame. ECF comes especially useful in sports photography where the subject may shift its position in the frame rapidly.

ECF is a function that is usually either loved or hated. Some users feel that it is not reliable enough for common use. Others report that they are able to use it reliably. Much of this depends on the user. Eyeglasses can also reduce its accuracy for some.

EOS cameras equipped with ECF are the EOS A2E (U.S. model names are shown; see the table below for equivalents in other countries), EOS Elan IIE, EOS IXe, EOS-3, EOS Elan 7E, and EOS Elan 7NE.

Canon has not continued its use of eye-controlled focusing with its digital SLRs, however. The EOS Elan 7NE is the last EOS camera to have this function.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember that I bought an OM-PC for my sister as a high school graduation present in 1989. Some features as I remember them are: manual mode, aperture preferred auto mode, program mode, "ESP" metering (a computer assisted evaluative metering), fixed focusing screen, a metal frame with a fair amount of plastic, TTL flash modes.

My impression was that this was a replacement for the OM-2S Program, aimed more at the market that was filled with "program" cameras.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm

Olympus OM-PC

I have an OM-PC but have not used it yet. It was given to me by a family friend who has gone over to a Canon DSLR. The OM-PC was not a replacement for any of the OM-2 models. It was more of an entry level camera but it had more features than the OM-10. With the OM-10 you need a separate Manual Adapter to manually control shutter speeds. The ESP metering option on the OM-PC is somewhat rudimentary compared to the more sophistocated metering systems of today's newest cameras but is still helpful in difficult lighting situations, especially back light. I recently added an OM 2000 to my collection and I need to find time to use both of these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My OM-2n and OM-4Ti keep me busy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have 4x OMPC/40's (don't ask!!), and they're quite solid metal construction. The rubber grips go quite horrid with age, and they chew through batteries like nothing I've seen - refusing to work point blank if they are dead. HOWEVER, they are an excellent little camera for photographing theatrical performance, so I've used them for work quite a bit (couple hanging 'round my neck with different OM prime lenses), shooting at 3200, the fancy 80's "ESP" metering is dead on, particularly in theatrical environments that are mostly black with bright highlights. Even though I have my fancy EOS 1v, I've hung on to these - they are rugged, black, and useful.

Marc!

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall reading some years ago an article by David Vestal (a favorite photo writer of
    mine) in which he praised the OM-PC and said he carried one with him all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin