Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,856   Online: 944

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
    will open the door to a whole world of inexpensive M42 mount lenses.
    Is that still true? My perusal of fleabay suggests quality screw thread lenses are close on the heels of bayonet mounts pricewise. At least, camera manufacturer's prime M42s in wide apertures never seem to go cheap when I'm watching.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're used to AF with the F5. I agree with the other person who recommended easing out of it . N80 or F100 are relatively inexpensive these days, get one of those and then pick a smallish Nikkor AF prime (or two) in your choice of focal length. That should drastically reduce the size and heft of your 35mm kit already. And you can still use your big zooms if you need them for a particular project in the future. If you really want to go manual focus, then something in the FM series would be appropriate, but then you'd have to invest in some mf lenses as well. Good luck and have fun choosing .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your use to Nikon, stick with Nikon, it will be much easier. Assuming your keeping the one you have now, then the lens compatibility is a plus. A Nikon FM or FE or reasonable small and light, and dependable.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    I guess that means the purpose of my 35mm gear has changed, so I'm hoping for suggestions for a much smaller, much lighter kit.
    Hi there,
    My take on this is that your Mamiya has taken over as your primary camera of choice. Assuming that you intend to use both systems at the same time, rather than "going out shooting with the Nikon only or the Mamiya only" then perhaps it might be a case of asking what do you want the Nikon to do that the Mamiya can't. e.g. using an affordable fisheye, or shooting indoors at 1.4, or shooting moving action with a telephoto, or shooting fast sequences with the motor drive.

If there is a "thing" that you want the Nikon will do that the Mamiya won't, limit the Nikon gear to enable that "thing" - then it becomes a useful extension to the Mamiya set-up. Og get a Leica set-up, can't get smaller or lighter!

Just my thoughts.
    Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for your suggestions, it's given me a lot to think about.

I also think Sim2 is right, and I need to better define my purpose for the gear before I do anything

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd sell the zooms (or at least the big one) and get fixed-length lenses. I'd keep your body and use AI glass on it. No sense in getting rid of a body that is likely mechanically perfect, and will be for quite some time, to get an old body that may give you repair issues. You couldn't get much for it anyhow. The body is not that heavy, but it is the zoom lenses that are a PITA, IMO. So, I'd keep the 300, get a telephoto or two in the 80 to 200 range, and for the wide...well, the zoom might not actually be all that heavy. I might keep it after all.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-02-2010 at 03:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any suggestions? I know I'm being vague, but about all I know is small and light is what I want...

Thanks!
    When I downsized from the F5 I got an F100, and I was very happy. I used to say that it was a shame Nikon didn't make a hedge trimming attachment for the F5, it certainly had the torque for the task. The F100 is svelte by comparison.

Then I went one step further away from rapid shooting, simply because I lost interest in it and wasn't around sports so much. I lost my routine need for AF. So I got an fm2n and I adore it.

So... if you want to stay in the Nikon F family, I would say F100, fm2n or similar, or consider an fm3a if you have the money.

If you wish to go really small then I am afraid you will need to exit the Nikon F family and consider the olys or such.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 3 small and light kits:

1. Nikon N80 with 50mm 1.8 AFD lens. when I want to do family candids. I need the autofocus for grandkids.
    2. Nikon FE with 50mm 1.8 Series E, for situations that require a tough camera. I bought it BGN grade and it functions perfect, it's just a little dinged and brassed. Toss it in the tank bag of the moto or hiking it's small and compact.
    3. Oly 35 SP rangefinder for street photography. Small, light, quiet and unobtrusive.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also think Sim2 is right, and I need to better define my purpose for the gear before I do anything
    Cheers!
    I'd support this. First I'd question whether the RB67 is manoeuvrable enough to do what you've been doing at airshows - particularly the air-to-air stuff. And whether you need AF.
    The next step might be to think about whether you can cope with a 35mm rangefinder, because you won't find much smaller or lighter. (The Bessa is lighter than the Leica but the same size, and CV glass is affordable).
    Whether or not you consider RF, you also need to think about what range of focal lengths you want to use. If you lean towards RF then you also have to consider the frame sizes that the various models have in their viewfinders. If you go to a small SLR that's not an issue.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think you will find that the Nikon glass is not as expensive as you may think.
    Olympus and Pentax glass (besides the basic 3) demand a premium that is often above Nikon because they are just not available.
    So my suggestion is this..

if you want to keep autofocus:
    If you have large hands get a F100. Otherwise get a N80.
    Get a 50mm f1.8 AF and a kit zoom 28-80mm.
    Keep your other gear for a while.

if you want to try something for a different feel:
    Get a nikon FE and AI or pre-AI lenses.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin