Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,982   Online: 934

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Darin's onto something as is Sim2. My suggestion is to first find some of the Energizer lithiums. I suspect they're available in NZ. They aren't cheap, but they last a long time and make any motorized Nikon film body lighter. Then, go on a lens weight trimming regimen. To cover the wide range, replace the 20-35 with an 18-35. A bit slower, but wider zoom, and smaller size. Replace the 80-200 with an 85f1.8 AF and a 180f2.8 EDIF AF. Maybe also throw in either a 35f2 or a 50f1.4 into the mix. Keep the 300mm, since that focal length does come in handy from time to time. That allows you to keep the AF capabilities but lose some weight. If you don't mind using your F5 as a pro-grade FE2 with MD-12, get some lenses like the 20f3.5 Nikkor-UD (great piece of glass), 24f2.8 or 24f2 AI or AIS Nikkor, 35f2 Nikkor (either AI'd Nikkor-O/OC or AI/AIS), a 50f1.4 AI or AIS, 85f1.8 AI'd, and a 180f2.8 of some variety. Also get an L screen for the F5. Diagonal split-image which is nice.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Nikon and Pentax, along with my old mostly retired Fujica ST801 and some other M42 cameras I've picked up along the way.
    The Pentax MX is really small and light, while my LX is about the size and weight of a Nikon FM/FE. The Pentax lenses are fairly compact.
    My Nikon F3 is larger and about 7 ounces heavier than the LX but still isn't really all that big or heavy compared to the other F series machines, especially the F5. I picked up an N8008s (F801s) really cheap and use it for the times I want fast film transport. It works great for that, as it's less bulky and lighter with the motor being integral.

One thing to consider is how much you really need a long zoom. I have found for most things my zooms are used at only a couple spots in the range, so I'm going more and more back to single focal lengths, which often have other advantages as well. I might not save weight or bulk in the bag, but the camera/lens combo is definitely easier to handle. One thing to note: the Nikon and Pentax focusing and aperture rings turn in the same direction, making it very easy to use them interchangeably. Most M42's do also: the Pentaxes obviously, my EBC Fujinons, and most others. There were some though that turn differently, I think Ricoh being one.

The OM series cameras are sweet, and many of the lenses are little gems. Another to seriously consider if you are looking for small and light.

The exotic Olympus and Pentax glass, among others, is often more costly than the exotic Nikon and Canon FD glass, as it was sold in fewer numbers and often fewer variations. The more ordinary stuff is usually cheaper than Nikon, but all around, the FD lenses are amazing for price and selection.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-02-2010 at 09:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I avoid zoom lenses because of the weight. Sure, they offer convenience in that you don't need to carry multiple lenses but at the same time, they often have poor optical quality (especially wide open) and are a few stops slower. Not much good for shooting slow films - Kodachrome, Velvia or Ilford Pan F.

Also, shooting with a fixed focal length - only taking one lens - forces me to think a certain way and i get locked in that mindset and as a result i create better composed images.

Sometimes restriction is a good force behind creativity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, some good stuff to think about here! I'm getting closer to deciding what to do. I do know my zooms are going to be sold, probably also the F5, although I'm a bit sad to see it go in some ways. As I mentioned I don't use long focal lengths much any more so a kit of say 3 primes and a small body like the FM2N or OM2 would suit my absolutely down the the ground. Having said all that I am still interested in the Contax G2. Geez, some of us just can't decide :-)

P.S. When I said i won't be doing airshows on 35mm, I didn't mean I'll be doing them on medium format. nuff said.

Thanks guys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you decide to stick with Nikon, look at Series E lenses. They're generally smaller, lighter, and plastic, but I don't see any lower quality in my negatives compared to the equivalent focal length AI/AIS/AF lenses. I own a 50mm, used to have a 28mm but gave it away in a clearout, and to my knowledge there were also 100mm and 35mm focal lengths manufactured and possibly a zoom or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I heard that Series E were optically good but made simpler than Nikkors

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "P.S. When I said i won't be doing airshows on 35mm, I didn't mean I'll be doing them on medium format. nuff said."

Not really. How you shoot airshows may be relevant if you'd like to avoid investing in multiple mounts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I didn't mention it because apug doesn't like people talking about d*g*tal, but I was planning on picking up something like an old D70 for airshows and similar events when I don't feel like buying and developing 30 rolls for one event

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    OK, I didn't mention it because apug doesn't like people talking about d*g*tal, but I was planning on picking up something like an old D70 for airshows and similar events when I don't feel like buying and developing 30 rolls for one event
    Then staying with the Nikon F-mount makes perfect sense! My favorite Nikon SLR is the F100 because it's small, light, and performs flawlessly - nice AF and metering.

I shoot d*g*tal, too, mostly for indoor basketball ( at ISO 6400) or when I'm giving shots away. I prefer film for all other applications.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The G2 system is such a steal, you shoudl get it regardless!

So it's decided then. Fm2n and a contax g2
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin